Substance in crawl space

First Post
Found this in crawl space. Single story 3000 plus sqft. Vapor barrier under crushed limestone. Garage on other side of wall with water softener in this area. There is active drip from softener in this area. The drip is to the right and not actually in the substance. About 4 foot area. Stone seems dry. None any where else under the home. Thanks

1 Like

Looks like dryer lint - was there a duct nearby? Maybe one that has been recently repaired/replaced? It’s super-common to find piles of lint and a repaired (usually with the wrong material) duct.

Efflorescence

1 Like

Looks like efflorescence.

2 Likes

Beat me to it. :smile:

So, is there a question in there somewhere??

2 Likes

Question is, was it crystal like crunchy stuff or soft organic? Looks like crystals from here.

1 Like

Sorry, I am unable to ‘seecrunchy or soft in a MB photo!

1 Like

Not dryer lint. Not noticeably crunchy. Very clear and crystalline up close. I suspect efflorescence but none anywhere else.

2 Likes

A low spot in the vapor barrier and the drip from the water softener puddled in the area, salt crystals?

4 Likes

True, but I do see shimmering glittering magical formations of a micro-kingdom. Definitely efflorescence.

2 Likes

does it taste salty ?

6 Likes

What was this rusted thing?

aa433984ecba0fa64b89188e0f45ec5753659b3a_2_1332x1000

3 Likes

Like Scott said, if there is a leak from the softener, it’s likely Salt. Was the leak from the brine tank or the resin tank?

2 Likes

That’s what my impression of the picture is as well. Mineral salt crystals aren’t always hard even though they look like they are.

2 Likes

You need to get a touch screen… :wink:

6 Likes

Gene, welcome back to our forum!..Enjoy and participate. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like