Suretest question

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Tested outlets in one room that I got “no display” reading.

The book states that if you get no display it could be hot/ground reverse or open hot/open neutral.

I check the outlets also with my three prong tester and it showed "correct wiring".

Is there any logical reason for this? plugged in an a/c unit and it functioned normally.

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Kevin,

From what you have said, it sounds like the neutral is open. I really could not see the hot/ground being reversed but hey, ya never know.

Joe Myers

Thanks, I would have thought that a three pronged checker would catch a open neutral though?

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Kevin…

Just a bit of advice here.....if you test a receptacle and you receive some indication that something may be wrong with the wiring or the device itself, it would not be a good idea to plug any kind of appliance into it. If the receptacle was wired incorrectly or otherwise, damage to whatever you plug into it could happen. This would especially be true if the neutral was missing and you plugged some sort of device that uses electronics into the outlet......best way to fry a computer is turn it on without a neutral wire hooked up. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

True…the homeowner was there when I didn’t get a reading and he was the one that plugged in the unit…I would never do something like that. icon_wink.gif He wanted to prove that the circuits were functioning normally.

Kevin,

Just thinking out loud here but was it a metal box?

Joe Myers

There were 3 outlets in the room and I got the same reading on all of them. One was surface mounted and yes, I believe it was metal.

The rest of the rooms checked out fine.

Kevin,

I am thinking along the line that the neutral connection was severed and the ground wire was providing a neutral path by touching the metal boxes. That would be one possibility that I can think of off the top of my rather thick skull.

Well, I guess it is time for me to head on down to the basement and start playing with the electric and my sure test again. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Kevin

Did you follow the 'cool down' time for your SureTest?

Mike P.