Tarpaper inside attic?

I have never seen anything like this so i just curious why would somebody install tarpaper on the underside of the roof sheeting in the attic?

?

Someone may respond and prove otherwise but I would definitely call this out as questionable and in need of further review. The homeowner may or may not be aware of this but recommend having sellers disclose any information they may have.

In another note, what is going on with some of that roof framing. I’ve never seen anything like it.

On site built trusses?

1 Like

It looks like they have old original plywood decking and much newer plywood (see stamped APA).
But I can’t explain the tar paper.

They misread the instructions and applied it to the wrong side :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wonder if it was a semi dry-in waiting for the sheathing to get there… :thinking: Idk…

4 Likes

“This Side Up” :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Majority of the homes I inspect in my area are homes built between 1920s and 1980s. About 20% of these homes have on-site built trusses and they look far better than these. Hell, I think a blind monkey could do better.

1 Like

One of the problems with this tarpaper being exposed like that is exactly the same as paper faced batts being installed incorrectly with the paper exposed. It simply burns very readily. Also if they do have a roof leak that paper is going to hold the moisture and rot the decking. But mainly I would call it out because it is a fire hazard.

On a related note if you see a radiant barrier installed directly to the under side of decking, it should be perforated to allow moisture/water through in case of a roof leak, also lets you know about where the roof is leaking if it is perforated.

1 Like

All the ones I see are perforated…with a thousand nails :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Perhaps they covered the roof framing with felt to protect it from moisture until they could buy or install the sheathing and shingles?