Taste of Tougher Energy Codes

Taste of Tougher Energy Codes

One of the primary goals of the 2012 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) is to increase the energy savings in residential and commercial buildings by 30% compared to the 2006 code. This latest version builds upon the 2009 IECC, which calls for 12% energy savings over 2006, and whose residential requirements focus on significantly tighter and more efficient envelopes and HVAC systems.

Meeting the standards set by the 2009 or 2012 codes—along with complying with Energy Star Version 3, which went into effect on Jan. 1, 2012—would challenge almost any builder.

http://www.ecohomemagazine.com/news/2012/02-february/tougher-energy-codes-push-framing-forward.aspx

I would venture to say that SIPS or ICF construction will be commonplace in the near future.

Agreed along with valued engineering wall construction.

I am seeing more 2x6 wall construction or 2x4 with foam.

Foam has a higher builder marketing gimmick that goes along with it
than 2x6.

Builders are not licensed or regulated in Texas so we’ll see how much
is achieved.

The county here is considering adopting the 2006 code they state the builders are at about 80% compliance right now. I suspect 2012 would be a long way out here.

Its pretty amazing how many states are still not 2006, minimum. Maryland was the first state to adopt 2012…effective Jan 1st this year.

JJ

It does not, or ever, make any difference how much energy a home owner will save. They will always spend the same, or even higher, utility bills. Look at gasoline. Even when there is more energy, the price will always rise. Utility companies need to show profits every year, and revenue increases, to keep their stock prices up. The only way to do that is to increase the bills to consumers. Even when you have an energy efficient home, people use those utilities differently. Some freeze, and turn up the thermostat. They use appliances constantly.

With more and more people in the world, increased costs and prices are always commonplace. Often, the increased costs of upgrades to save energy are higher in price than the energy being used, and takes years to see the actual savings.

Recent home builder / code inspector seminars in KC. In class we were told that of KC’s 78 towns making up the metro area. ONLY 16-17 had adopted the 2006 IRC at this point.

I think 2012 may be a tidge bit out there yet.

Just received my hard copy of the NH Field Guide the other day.
Contains the state energy code, 2009 IECC and most of the 2012. NH hasn’t adopted the 2012 yet but will later this year.

NH Field Guide (Small).jpeg