Texas reporting requirements?

TREC does not regulate cost estimating a project.

"I understand you are considering buying this home and want me to look around and tell you what I will charge to do a TREC inspection. I charge for on site cost estimates. Today’s fee for the estimate is $300. If you hire me to do a TREC inspection today’s fee will be applied to the TREC inspection fee.

Hmmmm, the foundation has a lot of movement; the roof looks like hail hit it; the electrical system is old; the HVAC is mixed ages and looks poorly maintained; it’s an older home and would not compare to new code or TREC requirements. I am sure I will find more if you hire me to do a TREC inspection. The fee for a TREC inspection is $1500. Contact me as desired."

Mannie & Chuck …

I was doing inspections part time in Texas in 1976. I was still there when the REA’s pushed HI’s into licensing (registration) in the early 80’s … SO fully understand it does NOT make someone do a minimalistic inspection.

HOWEVER many inspectors used the extremely short outline as a reason to.

So where I got it was from down there AND many long time 25-35 year Texas veterans calling it such.

Minimalists will always find ways to be minimalistic and find or manufacture some excuse for it.

Many do have Texas TREC templates but most of them are not compliant with TREC rules. Try sending your report to TREC to see if it is as it’s a $5,000 fine per report if it’s not!

Kenton, click on Open Template in your copy of Home Inspector Pro and select the TREC template. That’ll give you a better idea of what’s inputted and what the output will be.

Sad but true and TREC does not care who was at fault with a non-compliant report. They will always hang the Inspector!

My opinion is at this link

Sgt. Schultz! :mrgreen: