This thread reserved for 3D users and interested parties.

Originally Posted By: Donna @ 3D
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Class dates are listed on our website in the Support section, for those who want that hands-on tutoring.

But if you just spent an hour or two going through the items in each Getting Started Guide in the HelpDesk, you'll really have a pretty good overview on how to use your software.

We also have started to put together a video library on our site as well: http://www.3dinspection.com/support/files/video/

--
Donna, 3D Inspection Systems
www.3dinspection.com

Originally Posted By: srowe

Is there a 8.0 version, if so, when do the customers (registered for updates) get a copy?

I have version 7.0 right now. Thanks Donna

Donna @ 3D wrote:
Right now, we're in the process of shipping subscription hundreds and hundreds of updates for version 8, starting with those with Office Management and Pocket3D. If you have a sub plan, you copy will be on its way soon!

--
www.3dinspection.com

Originally Posted By: dmusielski

Hi Donna,

I finally ordered your 3D softwarel last week. I started messing with your Demo a year ago. I really like its flexability. I ran into the one minor bug with page numbering on version 8...but I found a way around it. Jennifer said there is a fix on the way. For over a year I have messed with all your competitors. While many are good products...I felt yours stood above the rest purely because of it's flexability in being able to make it do what I want. One question for you....currently I go back to the office and create my reports. I opt not to enter info in the field on a laptop; clients like to talk too much. Has there ever been talk about putting your program on a PALM OS platform? ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) Purely selfish reasons...I don't wish to switch to a Windows handheld platform.

Thanks again for an excellent product.

Dan Musielski
Assured Home Inspections
Batavia, Illinois
(630)745-0573
dmusielski@msn.com

Sorry Dan. We did once create a Palm OS version, but it wasn’t around long because of lack of interest and unit limitations. The few who tried it decided to go with Pocket PC units in the end anyway. The Pocket PC OS is more robust than PalmOS, so as we added new features to our Pocket PC version, the Palm version lagged behind in functionality because there were certain things it simply would not do. We found it was also a LOT slower.

Another problem with PalmOS units is that each and every manufacturer used the OS differently. There was no consistancy from one manufacturer to another. That meant that we had to test and tweak the program for each model we wanted it to run on. Every time a new unit came out, there was no guarantees it would be compatible. By contract, generally software designed for Pocket PC works on any Pocket PC, as nearly all manufacturers (View Sonic the only exception I'm aware of) use the same standards, and Microsoft requires that the units all have certain standard functions. Which makes it MUCH easier to develop for and support.

The main reason we originally developed a PalmOS version in the first place was because Palm units *used* to be very inexpensive compared to Pocket PCs. But Palm has long since lost its cost advantage, now that one can get a powerful Pocket PC for about the same cost or even less. Now that the only real advantage it had going for it is gone, there's really no reason for us to beat a dead horse. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with using a Palm unit for other things if it really works for you, as they no doubt have some strengths. And other software vendors do still develop stuff for the Palm, but we found it too limiting for what we wanted to be able to provide inspectors. So sorry, we have absolutely no plans for any future re-development on the PalmOS platform for our products. But we are continuing to add new features to Pocket3D for Pocket PC units.

But even if you decide to obtain a Pocket PC solely for use with Pocket3D, as if it were just another inspection tool, you may later find you like some of the other features or programs available on the unit too. Or you can always keep using your Palm.

--
www.3dinspection.com

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the input. All of what you said makes sense. I use Palm for "Contacts" mainly. I like it's simplicity as an OS system. Possibly in the future I will purchase a PC Handheld for inspections. I have gotten away from a laptop in the field, and I do my reports back at home. I take alot of picture, take the important notes, and then back to the office. That seems to work best for me. After 15 years of engineering in the field, I found it best to go back to the office an be able to think after all the data collection.

Regards,
Dan Musielski
Assured Home Inspections
Batavia, IL
dmusielski@msn.com

Originally Posted By: rboyer

Hi Dan

I have just purchased 3D and also a Dell Axim 50V for doing input and possibly a summary in the field. It seems to be very nice unit, only had it for 2 nights but so far so good.

Ron Boyer
Precison Home Inspections

Hey that sounds good!

What did you do previously? Laptop, paper, etc? I have choosen to leave the laptop at home. While clients are asking questions, I'm pointing out notables, taking notes, and snaping pictures; I have found it ineffective to to put the quality type of report I believe people expect togather at the same time. In the future I could see myself using a handheld, but to still put the report togather at the office.

Regards,
Dan Musielski
Assured Home Inspections
Batavia, IL
dmusielski@msn.com

Originally Posted By: vsantos

I’m looking to purchase the 3D software. Are there any discounts being offered right now?

Donna @ 3D wrote:
It just changes every couple months. You just need to order through the special link for NACHI members to get it.

As you can see from the link posted on your own NACHI board here http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=10074 this months special is a free Stinger flashlight worth about $150 So that's a pretty nice discount!

Looks like that offer is still good. When any offer expires, simply check your Special Discount Offers forum for new 3D specials- http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewforum.php?f=58

--
www.3dinspection.com

Originally Posted By: bmense

Donna,

If you would be so kind to pass along to the folks in marketing my two cents I would appreciate it. I have researched many packages and have narrowed that search down to 3D. While I do appreciate the offer for a free flashlight, a percentage discount for NACHI members would be much more appreciated.

Personally, I'm hoping a discount will be offered once the flashlight deal expires, so then I can finally buy 3d for my operations. As it stands, a free flashlight is not compelling me to make the commitment.

You might pass along the idea of multiple choice selection, offer a flashlight, discount, Axim, or etc. for new purchases. You might end up getting more people jumping on the 3d bandwagon.

Thanks for taking the time and hopefully you get the chance to pass along the feedback.

Brian

I’ve passed your comments on to marketing. A new one is scheduled to replace the current one on May 1, but I have no idea what it will be. Check your offers section when it’s available to find out.

www.3dinspection.com

Originally Posted By: apightling

. . .additional fodder for your presentation to marketing . . . I am currently using and Excel spread sheet on a pocket PC and import the spread sheet into my laptop where the responses on the spread sheet are matched to pre defined paragraphs. This creates a Word document report into which I paste the pics. All this on site . takes about 1/2 hr of report prep work from data to presentation . . . (roughly 12 pages printed on site. . . the rest, generic prepared in advance . .). I will be trying 3D in parallel next week and might buy if the package brings significant value added to my process. However, I can’t do that without buying the package because there is no trial pocket PC package. My first suggestion would be to initiate a trial for the pocket PC package and, of course, my second would be to quit dancing around the NACHI discount . . . show your commitment to the organization with a standing discount . . . you help us, we help you . . . marketing people should be able to understand this . . . if not . . . get new marketing people . . .

-ap

I was informed by Paul at 3D today that NACHI members get a 10% discount.

Enjoy,
Art

Hi Arthur,

Sounds like you have a pretty complicated system right now.

Pocket3D is very simple to use, as it's really just a data collection tool. The same categories and boilerplate checkoff items in your regular program (or Evaluation) simply show up in Pocket3D too, where you just tap off the desired selections for your report. That's really it. It really works much the same way as the regular report writer. Pocket3D simply doesn't have the Word Processor, Custom Form Studio, and other areas used for developing and customizing your templates, since it's designed just for quick and basic report data collection. When you're done, you just open in as a regular report in your main copy of 3D and all the items you selected are already filled out in your report. Just add images or other final touches, and your done!

So if you've tried an Evaluation of our regular report writer, you already have a good idea how Pocket works. You just tap off the applicable comments as you go- it's that simple! You can also check out the Pocket3D manual in the HelpDesk if you want to see screen shots. If you have any further questions, perhaps our sales dept (at 800-745-6126 or http://www.3dinspection.com/contact-us/sales.html ) could provide you with some users you can contact to find out how well Pocket3D works for them. It's an extremely popular product! Or if you will be attending an inspection conference where 3D will be present, we'll be happy to let you give it a try first hand, where you can see it mimics the regular desktop version of our report writer.

--
www.3dinspection.com

Thanks Donna . . . I ordered 3d this morning and am looking forward to putting it to work . …

Art

Hi Donna…I ordered the Express Ver 8.0 a couple of months ago. Great program, However the day I got it I discovered a “BUG” in the page Indexing. I was told in couple weeks there would be a “PATCH” and a new CD would be sent to me. I haven’t heard anything. Any info?

Thanks,
Dan Musielski
Assured Home Inspections
Batavia, IL

I’ll ask someone in the shipping offices to check it out

www.3dinspection.com

THANKS,

Heather is taking care out it ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Dan Musielski
Assured Home Inspections
Batavia, IL 60510

Originally Posted By: fduemig

Hi Donna,

Is the iPAQ rx3715 Mobile Media Companion, (Microsoft? Windows? Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, Professional Second Edition), compatible with Pocket 3d?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Duemig