Too bad ALL inspectors don't pull the panel covers

Yes I am in full agreement not all are in the same category and this is part in parcel as to what I am saying as someone been in the field will encounter the PANELS mentioned.
I am not anyway shape or form saying just FPE and just Zinsko.
I already stated that many Inspectors are and will have different opinions according to what has happened to them.
Like the saying goes! Your millage my very!

You are correct. Another good example of bad information being distributed as if it were fact.

Most of those statements regarding Zinsco panels are completely false.

edit to add;

It’s funny, I just looked at the pictures on page 45 and even those are inaccurate and completely misleading. The blow-up picture with the arrow points to what (we would assume) is a point where the panel cover could contact the bus. However, the picture is of a middle section of bus bar that has been damage by a breaker, not by inadvertent contact from the panel. Anyone with “Zinsco experience” can validate my statement.

That single page is enough for me to disregard that entire publication as worthless. You cannot publish blatently false and misleading information and expect to be taken seriously.

This one was not only overheated it was arching, had the broker call a electrician, he said but it’s been like that… Stopped him in his tracks and told him either call an electrician or I will turn the main off. Electrician was there within the hour. This home also had a gas leak in the garage, which I shut off ASAP. Gas company was on site within 30 min.

jsw_dsc08273b.jpg

How does one get the certification of a CMI and still profess to lack the experience to perform an inspection of one of the largest infrastructure parts of a house? I would have thought that title would have been reserved for someone that has the experiences and knowledge brought on by years in constuction and/or the inspection trades.

Actually you are right that I did not do wiring in a home! I was only taught in School.
But I can bet if you have as Masters in Electrical you did not go to School to learn about House As A System. Probably never even heard of Ultrafine or Nano particles ect and have never solved any IAQ Issues.
Probably do not do rounded out schooling because you have no time as all your research is in one field.
Electrical is not nor will it ever be important in my eyes beyond the basics required for Home Inspection.
Electrical is only one small spoke in the wheel and without a rounded out education the wheels just will not turn.

Wow! If that doesn’t just say it all, then what does?

I am a professional home inspector and know nothing about “nano” or “ultrafine” particles (other than their obvious definitions) because they are irrelevant in relation to a standard home inspection.

Electrical systems are one of the major systems in residential construction. They are certainly not “one small spoke.” That’s why there is an entire Code book written specifically for electrical systems.

For the record, I have never “wired a home,” nor have I ever been an electrician. When I became a Home Inspector, electrical was (by far) my weakest area. My only electrical “experience” has come through my career as an HI.

You are correct, my education is so limited that I only scored a 93% on the HI test from this site.

You don’t learn only about residential or commercial electric. You learn the concepts that apply to how the systems work and the associated code requirements to install something in a safe manner.

As far as the IAQ sidetrack, this is like saying a brain surgeon is not a doctor because they know little to nothing about skin diseases like a dermatologist. Complete BS.

Show me how many people could live in a house or get any mechanical system to work without that small spoke of the wheel called electrical.

If you have this great fear of electrical and its dangers would you not want to provide guidance to a potential homeowner about the deathtrap they are about to purchase?

Radon 300+ pgs From InterNachi
Electrical 123+ pgs InterNachi
Roofing I have no Idea if you take all the Roofing Articles.
Mold 162 pgs
HVAC 131 pgs
Reason I say this is not to belittle what knowledge a Inspector has to have on Electrical.
Everything has to be studied to assess a house properly.

I don’t know if I would disregard all of it, but the pages I and you referred to, as I said, would be ignored. It was put together for NC to, in my opinion, give the home inspectors who are afraid to remove these covers something to fall back on.

As to your Zinsco statement above, that is exactly what I thought right after I saw it. A little “razzle dazzle”! :wink:

Who said anywhere it is the removal of the DEAD FRONT to the panel that is the problem?
Go look at your little 123 pg book on Electrical inspection and focus on pg 66 and 67.

Kevin, you are not qualified to participate in this thread. I would suggest you sit back and take this opportunity to learn something.

I would have to question whether any of the information had been verified for accuracy. Without such verification, I could not justify relying on its content.

No that is why I pointed to the pages instead of trying to explain about Copper changed to Aluminum on the ZINSKO Panels in the HOW TO DO HOME INSPECTIONS book.

I’m still alive; after removing the cover of this FPE Stab-Lok today, attached with pointed screws.

Chris, I don’t see the pointed screw. :slight_smile:

Oh boy am I tempted to say something.-o<-o<-o<

That never held you back before. :wink:

Here’s a closeup, all 4 were pan head sheet metal screws.

Ah, you dropped them on the floor. ;):slight_smile:

The suspense is killing me.

Keep Praying and maybe your God will answer!