TOP 5 HI Tools

Either way. When it gets close to something hot, it goes off… :wink:

Do you really wear a bicycle helmet into the attic? You could just get yourself a bump cap. It makes for quite the visual though, donning a bicycle helmet.

I do indeed. The chin strap keeps it from falling off as I crawl around the attic and it definitely protects me from the sharp corners of the truss brackets and the roof sheathing nails.

The tools that I can not do an inspection without excluding the standard tools such as ladder, flashlight screwdriver

1. voltage tester
  2. Amp meter
  3. CO meter
  4. Thermal Camera
  5. Digital camera
  6. I-pad
  7. Trainee:mrgreen:

I did not list moisture meter that is very important but I don’t use it on every inspection. The meters I listed are used on every inspection that has a gas furnace

His brain… ?

Just a joke B Elliot. No need to PM me about your future plans to wipe me off the face of the innerwebscape. We aren’t out to get you.

Really appreciate all the feedback!!! Couple of questions:

Moisture Meter: Are you using the probe/pinless or bulb type that measures air temp and humidity?

Gas Detector: I didn’t see this on anyone’s list. I am waiting on ordering tools, debating on adding a gas detector. Thoughts?

Outlet tester: I am assuming every is talking about the three light tester (including you Bob, very clear description). The InterNachi Electrical course mentioned that you cannot truly test an ArcFault without a device that creates an Arc. Yet the requirement for the inspection is only to “push the button” on the plug or in the panel. Thoughts?

FlirT165: There are a lot of opinions out there. I can’t help but value being able to see what I can’t see with the naked eye. Using the camera ONLY to see hot breakers, shorts in plugs, and possible moisture problems. I know enough to know my limits and do not intend to advertise that I even carry an infrared camera to the property.

Nick, thanks for that link to the Oulet! All of the pricing is cheaper than any other available for those tools. Have there been tools added in the last week? I made an order last week and don’t remember seeing half of those tools available including the Inspector Tool Package Deal including a one year membership! I suggest moving that package Deal at the top of that page and also listing it on oulet.com’s home page. Very cool offer.

I use a Bacharach gas leak detector. Also, I strongly recommend the Amprobe INSP-3 tester, which tests for arc fault, GFCI, reverse polarity, voltage drops, improper wiring issues, etc. Worth every cent.

As far as Infrared is concerned. First and foremost, take infrared courses before you buy an infrared camera. I know new toys are fun but the education is most important in the thermography world. InterNACHI has free infrared courses and Infraspection has a course for InterNACHI members which is discounted from $995 to $195 for InterNACHI members. Worth it! It really explains the importance of emissivity, reflections, environmental factors, delta T, and much more. If you are serious about infrared, take these courses before you buy a camera. Call Infraspection at 609-239-4788 about the special offer to InterNACHI members.

PS. Thank Nick for working out that Infraspection deal for us!

Best of luck!

New construction 4300 Sq feet right now and only used above listed so far with only attic and secondary furnace left. Did not pull out the moisture meter and if there is a gas leak you smell it though it can be used to narrow location.

I don’t own a gas detector never have and never will you can not beat a spray bottle of Dawn dishsoap

If you have crawl spaces or multi-story homes and are not using a moisture meter, you are short changing your client and putting your business at risk.

One should always have it for suspected areas.
Do not think just running around placing all over the place makes any sense however.

That is what IR is for .Remember primarily inspection is visual.

Was fun going through blueprints yesterday.
Client wanted to vent a fireplace electric ] and was told by builder it was against code yet the plans called for wood burning at that location and the brick chase was now being underused plenty room ] . Fast version he simply went cheap and installed an electric…LOL

A few weeks back I caught blueprints called for flashing at a protruding decorative ledge and they missed it.

Moisture meter would catch nothing yet however there will be most likely some later.

Just 5?

It’s tough to say. What tools end up being used the most on any given inspection depends on the house.

Education
Digital Camera
Screwdrivers
Electrical tester(s) - outlet,GFCI,ticker
Flashlight
thermal camera
ladder
sense of humor to agitate lurking agents :wink:

15 years as a home inspector, 6,000 inspections, and never a moisture meter used, and never been served or sued. There is no need for these meters here. Most don’t work anyway. Humidity is so high here in the Midwest that false readings abound. Humidity right now is over 80% in the outside air. All crawl spaces here have high moisture and humidity. IMO of course.

There is no need for moisture meters here either because we’re in a desert. Everything is dry, and if it’s not dry, you can see the results of the high moisture content. The only reason why I even have a moisture meter is because there is at least one person each year who asks “What’s the moisture content?” or “Do you have a moisture meter?”

Here are just a few that are important to me and that I use everyday.

[FONT=&quot]1) Camera (with a secondary backup)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) A means of documentation (pen/paper and/or electronic device)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) Flash light (smaller one on belt and larger one for attic/crawlspace)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) Electrical testers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) Ladder (extension/A-frame)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) Screw driver (multi-type)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) GPS (I would be lost without my GPS)[/FONT]

Bob I’m confused, whats the use of the mini crowbar :roll:

Not sure about Bob but I use my for prying open crawl space hatch covers, water meter covers, irrigation covers (looking for backflows), etc.