TPR discharge pipe to long

TPR discharge pipe to long. how long is too long, and why is it unsafe. looking for wording. Thanks

Nothing in the ICC codes about length.

Yes, sir that what I have discovered.
Terminate not more than 6 inches (152 mm) and not less than two times the discharge pipe diameter above the floor or waste receptor flood level rim.

The exception might be if the termination was not visible. That’s the only issue I can think of connected with length.

1 Like

It shall terminate not more than 6” or less than 2 pipe diameters from the floor. No code on length.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Robert, enjoy.

2 Likes

Thank you Scott, this is a very helpful tool in the trade.

1 Like

The main reason I was asking because my Report software had pre wording of The “TPR discharge pipe was observed at the time of inspection to be too long. Recommend shortening this pipe to within 6” of the floor". I cant understand why it would be a concern.

If the discharge piping is too close to the floor it may spray out in all directions. That’s my thinking I imagine at some point people were running these things within a quarter inch of the floor.

2 Likes

You have your answer… generically I use 2 inches assuming a 3/4 ID pipe.

1 Like

Yes sir that makes a ton of sense

I have seen many that go all the way to the floor, then have an elbow on at the floor and are piped over to the floor drain, usually not too far away, and often then have another elbow into the drain. The elbow at the floor and everything else to the floor drain is wrong, maybe that is what they mean about being “too long”.

1 Like

The elbow to the floor drain is fine as long as there is an air gap to the floor drain.

1 Like