TPR Drain Line Concerns

Looking for comments on this set-up. I saw this for the first time in southern AZ. It’s new construction (2023) and the WH is located in the garage. The TPRV drain line meets some of the I-codes intent, but not all, IMHO.
Background: This is in Oro Valley AZ. It rarely freezes there, so no AHJ (in the past) required an air gap. In S. AZ in the past the TPRV drain lines, 99.9% of the time on new construction, go straight outside, and d/c’s < 6" above the ground.
Here is my concern:

1. No need for the air gap in a place that does not freeze.
  2. The provided air gap device is of a capacity (3/4" pipe) with a tilted “bowl”, and at a level that will turn it into a super-heated fluid sprinkler head were the TPRV to do an emergency d/c.
  3. The garage is a place where people go. It’s not a WH closet or other closed-off location.
    Therefore, the air-gap in that configuration and at that height above the floor of an occupied (occasionally) space, is a danger to occupants.

One of the reasons for an extension pipe is to direct scalding pressurized water and prevent the possibility of anyone in close proximity of getting scaled.

I would write up that the TPR valve termination point as being too high and posing a potential saftey hazard.

Also, in my area appliance connectors aren’t supposed to be used on WHs. YMMV

1 Like

Kevin M. Leonard Thanks for the quick reply Kevin. That is the way I saw it. Thanks for your “the TPR valve termination point was too high and posed a potential safety hazard.” wording. I will use it.

Oh, and most AHJ here allow CSST to be installed IAW the manufacturer’s instructions. So, it’s used quite often here, just not through walls, HVAC cabinet, etc.

Stay dry there in OH. Actually, I envy you the rain. It’s a dust-bowl in AZ in June. Every June.

2 Likes

That is not CSST. As Kevin stated, it is Appliance Connector. HUGE difference!

2023-06-25_202557

3 Likes

Hi JJonas: Mea Culpa. You are correct. It’s a FAC. I will amend:

"most AHJ here allow FACs to be installed IAW the manufacturer’s instructions. So, it’s used quite often here, just not through walls, HVAC cabinet, etc.