TPR Drain Line Concerns

Hello All- Looking for feedback on this drain line setup.

1. TPR Drain Piping used is Apollo PEX 5106 and I can’t say what material elbow joints are.
  2. Piping runs into wall and discharges at the home’s exterior as pictured.

What immediately jumps out at you?

A PEX fitting is an insert fitting. If your jurisdiction follows the IRC this fitting should be increased to a 1” PEX fitting. The discharge piping should also terminate towards the ground with a gap of no more than 6” and no less than 1.5 pipe diameters.

5 Likes

3 Likes

As already mentioned, the TPR extension pipe is wrong in more than one way, I would write it and also the wire that’s not installed in conduit.

YMMV

I agree, In addition, When PEX is used as a TPR discharge line, it is required to be strapped/attached as required to prevent movement.

Not a fan of the electrical either.

3 Likes

Do you like lavender?

Some AHJs allow this. On one hand, water will only be going through that pipe if something is wrong with the TPR valve or the water heater. On another hand, the discharge point should be somewhere that is readily visible. On yet another hand, the discharge point in the photo is readily visible, if you happen to be walking by it. Of course, too close to that discharge point during a pressure release event could be exciting.
So, IF there is a floor drain in the room with the water heater, I would write up that the TPR discharge termination should be in the room where any water coming out is readily visible. If the room doesn’t have a floor drain, then I would defer to whatever the AHJ allows in your area. BUT, whether there is a floor drain or not, and whether your AHJ allows this or not, best practice is to have the discharge next to the water heater within 6" of the floor. The PEX is not a problem. The wiring is a problem.

4 Likes

Your illustration shows something that in 24 years, I’ve never seen, but that air gap creates the readily visible point in the room with the water heater to see if the TPR is discharging any water. Around here, no AHJ requires that.

Same here, but I have no issue with it. The only issue I have with it going to a drain pan is that many drain pans aren’t drain pans at all, but rather catch pans with no outlet. Here in GA, the tpr can discharge to the pan or the exterior, so I’m happy with either configuration.

I don’t even refer to them as a drain pan unless they are piped to a floor drain or to the exterior. Otherwise, just a drip pan… :shushing_face: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You can’t even call them a pan in Ohio…

2 Likes

Can i get input on this TPRV set up. Its a new install. My take is the connectors reduce the pipe size to about 1/2” or less. So im calling that strike one.

I was instructed that TPRV should have no more than one 90 degree turn, this has three, so strike two. The pex is not strapped so strike three.

It is sharing a drain with HVAC condensate.

My question is even if the pipe was a size larger would this be acceptable.

It was installed by “qualified” and licensed plumbers.

Two not three 90 degree turns.

2 Likes

Here’s my take (I am in GA)
Pipe reduction. problem
Not secured. problem
Two 90’s. not a problem

Not mentioned
Air gap. problem
(and of course no drain pan. problem)

2 Likes

Thanks Brian.

Yes it would be with the exception of no air gap at the drain and it should be secured in place.

2 Likes

At least there’s a floor drain. :roll_eyes:

Don’t think I’d like my water heater sitting on carpet …

2 Likes