Trick Question for the day

Originally Posted By: cbottger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

When and for what reason would you see a P-Trap in the suction line

for an A/C unit. icon_question.gif I will send you a star for the right answer.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

when the blower motor is on the suction side of the evaporator coil to keep condensate from standing in the pan.

Suction line is the freon line not the condensate line (sorry no star)

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Sorry Charlie, thats what I get for reading a post before my coffee icon_redface.gif

For residential installations, a trap should be in the suction line if the condensing unit is 4 feet or more above the evaporator coil. This keeps refrigerant oil from pooling at the coil.

Is that better?

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Wow,

Way over my head. They teach this in HI Schools?

Mr. Wiley you win the star will try to make my next question more thought provocative

Blaine was right P-traps are used in freon suction lines for returning oil to the compressor from the evaporator coils where the condenser sets higher than the coil used primarily on light commercial refrigeration units such as walk in coolers and freezers. As a HVAC mech if I was having oil return problems when the A/C furnace A-coil was located in a basement with a long return to the condensing unit at ground level I would install a P-trap to help resolve the problem especially if I had to warranty the compressor.

No they do not teach this in HI school I just was trying to liven this thread

up as we are in the heating season and the talk is somewhat flat and thought I might try a little question and answer session perhaps someone might learn something and perhaps I might learn something.

I am thinking don't you smell the wood burning. Next question to be posted tomorrow. Perhaps someone would like to post a question of their own.

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

It was an excellent question which made me think (after coffee) about when and why!

Originally Posted By: dhartke

I’m impressed Blaine.

This from a guy who several months ago said he knew a sober painter?

sober. That job gets to you, you know!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Wayne Dean

1. The terminus, far end, of the condensate line may be in an area with contaminants. Because the close end is within a negatively pressurized air handler cabinet, it will tend to draw air through the condensate line from the terminus. The p-trap tries to prevent such airflow. Our experience is that sometimes the terminus is located within a drywell designed to dispose of the condensate. However, being underground, the drywell will collect radon. We have seen cases where a condensate line p-trap dried out and radon levels in the home went above the USEPA Action Level. When the p-trap had water in it, the radon problem was solved. Substitute any other gas or contaminant for radon. The p-trap makes good sense.

2. Without a p-trap, there can be a substantial airflow through the condensate line. Such airflow may be sufficient to prevent drainage of condensate from the condensate pan in some cases.