Tripped GFCI

Just thought I would post pic after the discussion regarding GFCI’s on another thread recently.

GFCI was tripped and still had power at both bathroom receptacles.

Yep. I would bet at least 10% of GFCI receptacles I test are the same way.

So does that mean that a GFCI with no connected EGC is not as safe as a GFCI that does have one?

Trying to stir it back up Chuck :slight_smile:

Just sounds like the receptacles were not wired downstream of the load terminals.

The EGC plays no part in the function of a GFI. It will function just fine without an EGC.

Yep…

but there is a sliver of truth in there.

A GFCI outlet with no EGC is perfectly safe, up until the point it doesn’t work. One reason we test GFCIs is because sometimes they stop working. A metal bodied appliance or tool with a short to the housing will trip the GFCI protecting the operator, unless the GFCI fails. With a failed GFCI, a functioning EGC can still save your bacon. without the EGC, the person holding the tool becomes part of the circuit.

Sooo, if there is an EGC in the box, it should be connected to the GFCI outlet. If there’s not an EGC, it’s still probably the safest outlet in the house.:slight_smile:

Hope I didn’t make a mess of your thread. :twisted:

I will throw you a little curve ball to consider. What happens if someone makes contact between the ungrounded conductor and the grounded (neutral) conductor of a GFCI protected circuit?

They die just as thoroughly as they would on a non-GFCI outlet. :frowning:

There would be no amperage drop in that situation.

In that instance you just have a plain ol receptacle. Like this one from last Friday. One year old GFCI.

When they utter a few expletives after they get a jolt, then they’ll hit the breaker.

Jeff

A GFI that new should have had the lockout technology built in that would have prevent the power from being on had it failed. That standard changed a few years ago.

The installation my be a year old but I bet the GFCI is older.

Everyone is right on. A GFCI only interrupts line to ground faults, so it is not necessarily a foolproof or perfect device. It is better than a standard receptacle without an EGC, but is not as good as a GFCI with an EGC.

Chuck makes a valid point, but as we all know GFCI’s arent perfectly reliable.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. :slight_smile: Manufacturers can claim what they want.

That’s not the first newer GFCI I’ve seen that failed with the power on. Maybe the contractor had a couple extra boxes of GFCIs laying around or maybe technology doesn’t always work as planned.

Goes for me here also Cameron! GFCI’s failing all over the place.

This is part of the UL standard AFAIK.

www.aecdaily.com has a course on new technology for GFCI applications. If you have not signed up you should as there is allot of info on the site.

What do you want to know about them…just ask and ye shall receive.