Trippy GFCI outlet

Originally Posted By: ssmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

New construction (still working on it). GFCI outlets on rear decks. Plug in Suretest and the thing trips (happens on all of them). I reset it and got a wiring OK. I then checked voltage drop 13% icon_eek.gif . This was not the furthest outlet from the panel. I checked the furthest and there was only 1.1%.

What should I call out? "Outside GFCI receptacles appear to be faulty. Recommend further evaluation by a licensed electrician."

Thanks

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Scott,

GFCI is too sensitive. The GFCI should trip at 5 ma +/- 1 ma (4-6 ma). Sounds like they are tripping at 1-2 ma. I occasionally run across that, and it seems like they are always in groups (one house). Electrician changes them out and the new ones (he takes from a new batch of GFCI he bought) don't do that. The electrician typically changes one out to show me that the problem is 'with my tester', but instead proves the problem is 'with the GFCI devices'.

Can you insert your tester and reset the GFCI? If so, reset the GFCI, then push the GFCI test button. Does your GFCI show what it trips at (i.e., are you using the Suretest 61-155?)? If so, it will probably show it tripping low.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

That’s what I get. Yes I use the 155 and LOVE it!!! They are tripping low. Everything on the outside (outlets) are on one 20A breaker. Should a callout be made that these (outlets) be replaced? Or should the breaker be replaced first??

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I always have to hit the gfci button twice for an outlet to trip…is that normal?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

I do too. The first time I hit it it gives me the voltage. Then when I hit it the second time I get the ma of what it trips at.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Originally Posted By: tallen

I push once and it takes a moment to trip the GFI. When I first started useing it I thought it was broken cause it did not trip instantly.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

I tried that thinking there was a delay…but nothing. once I pushed again it trips right away???

If I had a GFCI in my house I would try it right now, but I don't...welcome to a HI's home...man the defects I find here!!! ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

--

Kevin,

The GFCI device test button should trip it first time, every time.

The Suretest 61-155 pushes twice, first voltage (if I remember correctly), then the ground fault test. That is when it should trip - on the second push.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Yep…I was referring to the suretest meter. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Right you are I had it mixed up icon_redface.gif . It trips on the first push after the GFCI is reset.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

So why the huge voltage drop??

Scott Smith

Marinspection

ssmith3 wrote:
That's what I get. Yes I use the 155 and LOVE it!!! They are tripping low. Everything on the outside (outlets) are on one 20A breaker. Should a callout be made that these (outlets) be replaced? Or should the breaker be replaced first??

If the 20 amp breaker is the GFCI, replace it. If it is a 20 amp breakers feeding one or more GFCI devices, replace each one which trips too low (i.e., if there is one feed through device, it will effect them all the same, replace one and that takes care of everything, but if there are multiple GFCI devices, each one which trips low needs to be replaced).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thanks Jerry. THat was my recommendation. Replace all exterior GFCI outlets (4 total)

Scott Smith

Marinspection