Unvented gas furnace near return

You might be concerned about supply air for the furnace. That could back-draft a flue pipe. But here there’s no flue pipe. Everything else is wrong however, including the spelling of “unvented”.

Okay…

What the hell does THAT mean?

Isn’t 99.9896421 percent of EVERYTHING on this planet INVENTED??

2 Likes

See what I mean? :joy:

3 Likes

I asked for clarification. What’s not tactful about that? :wink:

2 Likes

Try using “the heck” instead of “the hell.” It’s more Minnesota Nice.

7 Likes

I like you JJonas , I really do! :rofl:

2 Likes

H E double hockey sticks!

3 Likes

:thinking: Me either.
Maybe we need a thread about identifying the truth out on the internet.
Three of the five links in my NACHI Search above “is” on the internet search. Are they accurate? The point is do we need to hash out the same stuff day after day? Learn to search and get less grief from message boards.

Search Engine Responses;

Being tactful goes both ways, by the way.
I shelve my tact when when replies go south. So expect it.

When someone copies part of your replies to comment on, it’s not necessarily all about you.
It may not have anything to do with you.

Many are starting to post links to support their replies as they should. Hopefully they read the link and consider it is valid to the point they are making. Hopefully they recognize Internet BS as what it is. If you know better than the OP of the link, don’t get pissed off if someone calls it out as BS.

In case I did not make my point, I am not addressing James directly.

David, I couldn’t agree more. I have always been good at searching the web but when I became a home inspector, I realized you really have to work to get relevant information from Google searches.
Maybe, Nick & his crew could come up with a class to help new inspectors learn to search out answers better. I know that if I have to put in the effort to find the answers, I will remember them way more than if somebody just tells me the answer.

1 Like

Won’t happen. Ben has posted on many occasions that he encourages/instructs “Student Members” to come directly to the MB (NOT use the Search feature) for answers to their questions.
If that isn’t a load of crap…!!

3 Likes

Gotta get those clicks to build up the brand… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

One thing this MB has helped me do is find better answers. It can be challenging finding reputable information on the internet. Often we are directed towards blogs or other non vetted sites.

There are reputable sources, I think the more we help inspectors help themselves the better. Something JJ does well but is often criticized for.

And let’s face it, the newer generation wants immediate gratification. So there is that to deal with.

But in the end, the only stupid question is the one not asked. There is too much “don’t bring that question here” going on, IMO.

6 Likes

If we click on NACHI links on google, it’s better SEO and makes things more relevant. :thinking:

1 Like

People who know what they are talking about should find these links and post them with their reply. People should read these links and search for even more.

Know/consider the source of the link. You don’t need to go to ASHI when it’s the same as here, too much opinion.

You can’t write a reply and post a conflicting link with it. That avoids problems here.
Try asking opinion of your link if you don’t trust it. At least you looked it up.
Coming here and accepting the old wives tales is no better than relying on Google.
It’s my opinion it is more laziness than fear of getting bad information. Your fear should be here as well as out there. If you link a bad source, it’s someone else’s failure, not yours.

1 Like

That is a good point! I’ll start asking OP’s what they have found so far and where. Then we can help them. In my beginnings, I often found it very difficult to qualify my Google searches. I was frustrated being directed to “Uncle Leo’s AC and Landscaping blog”

Sometimes it’s easier to just write a check and be done with it.

2 Likes

The ironic thing about all this “search” discussion is that the OP didn’t need any help with the item claimed to be “easy to find out on their own” (the appliance connector issue). The OP even posted that he already knew about that issue, likely in hopes that the thread did not get sidetracked.

The actual question he asked about, the furnace being near a return vent is, in my opinion, a great question that is not so easy to find an answer to by searching Google. I for one am glad he asked it here!

5 Likes

If I’m 2,000 miles from this inspection site, how do I know?
I ask for more information and don’t get it all the time.

how do I know?

How can I answer that when there is nothing provided to support an answer?

But people will chime in regardless. The gas pipe was not his question. Are they assuming he don’t know squat? “Look what I see”, now we can argue about it…

The easiest place to locate the information he is searching for is the Manufacturers Installation Manual, which is almost ALWAYS found somewhere on Google.
If he had researched that document, he would have also found other issues with the installation, or at least indicators that other concerns exist.
So, was that resource consulted, and what information was discovered?

1 Like

And when you try to explain to the “yutes” today that before the internet, we actually had to go to a place called a “library” that had no computers. We actually had to research through things called books or microfiche to find information to help us learn more about the subject. And then you get the;

“No internet???”

3 Likes