Urgent: cracks, are these a structural issue?

Is that suppose to be a bump?

Trust me on this Ron, I comprehend all too fully what this is about. YOU. All HI’s are concerned with safety, unfortunately you have contributed nothing to this end. Your questions have been asked and answered over and over again in the structural forum, and I’m impressed with Nicks patience with you. You are insane. You have been asking the same question for years and keep expecting a different answer.

My observations of your conduct in these forums would be characterized as extreme self-absorption, an exaggerated sense of self-importance, and a need for attention and admiration from others. First identified by Havelock Ellis in 1898, your disorder is named for the mythological Narcissus, who fell in love with his own reflection. In addition to an inflated self-image and addiction to fantasy, narcissism is characterized by an unusual coolness and composure, which is shaken only when the narcissistic confidence is threatened, and by the tendency to take others for granted or to exploit them. According to Sigmund Freud, narcissism is a normal stage in children’s development, but it is considered a disorder when it occurs after puberty.

Sincerely and with compassion, get some help, Vern

Quote:

Quote:

As a vendor stating many questions go unanswered, you didn’t answer my question, Mr. Cherchuk. :roll:

Sorry you still cannot comprehend what this is about Vern. Are HI concerned with the safety of a client when they submit there report on a structure? Your C of E says you are. Is that not a good motive to get an answer on how the bolt equation can guide an inspector to conclude “too few bolts” are in the ledger??

Deck failures are a major concern. You say I have contributed nothing here. How so? This entire thread is dealing with “safety”. If a HI uses this equation (as a guide) a judgment is made on the condition of the ledger. Correct?? Even though it is a “rule of thumb” one might “judge” the bolts are OK (especially if there are “more than” the few fasteners predicted). Correct?? So the questions you say have been answered do not address this.

The thread clearly shows how I have been treated by others. Perhaps you have a series of quotes that describe these type of individuals???

What is a “safe” deck, in your opinion Mr Cherchuk?

A short paragraph should suffice…layman’s terms, please, and no links.

A very simplistic answer is that it must be up to the current codes, statutes, and/or bylaws for a given area. This is a “minimum” requirement for all structures.

The ledger is the primary problem with most decks. This is the cause of approximately 90% of the failures. So the HI checking the ledger has to know if the connections are OK. This is WHY Nick came up with a “rule of thumb” like the bolt equation. It is “suppose to help” the HI decide if there are too few bolts in the ledger. If the HI used this and determined too few bolts then he/she might recommend a PE to check this out further. If the HI used this equation and found “more than” too few bolts he/she might “judge” this ledger as OK because this “rule of thumb” seems to indicate so. It has some authority because it was developed by NICK a CMI who also developed your C of E. All HI’s know they are to do “no harm”. So, if the ledger "looks OK’ to the HI it might “not be a concern”!!!

So what is the problem, you might ask: Since your question refers to a “safe” deck???

1. This rule of thumb calculates the OC distance in inches of the bolts in the ledger.
  2. Nick stated “many times” this interpretation was incorrect.
  3. The clause states its used to find out if there are too few fasteners.
  4. Nick stated the equation cannot calculate the # of fasteners.
  5. So HOW can the HI use this equation to determine if there are “too few” fasteners???

So HOW does the HI inspect the ledger? and determine if the bolts are OK? This is what this ENTIRE thread is about. It is vitally important to the HI (who decide to use this because it was part of the deck course).

If Nick would kindly clear this up, it would let the HI know how to interpret and use this rule of thumb. He might also state the parameters in which this equation should be used (since he is the author of this equation).

Also, a “safe” deck (the structure itself + ledger bolts) depends on the loads on it. You must know those requirements in your area.

A short paragraph was not enough to explain the points. So will Nick clear this up???

Beyond the scope of anHI.

YES!!!
So what is the purpose of the bolt equation??

It is a:

rule of thumb
phrase of rule

1. 1.
    a broadly accurate guide or principle, based on experience or practice rather than theory.

Thank you.

Now, as a home inspector, can you tell us how you know that there are adequate fasteners connecting the studs or connecting the headers, or other items that are not visible?

And, of course it depends on the loads. We could inspect a deck one day and the next day a home owner may try to park a dump truck on it…

‘’‘’‘’

Do you agree with the table on this page? (Which is very similar to Nick’s). For decks supporting a total design load of 50 pounds per square foot.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_5_sec007.htm

So I had not clicked on this thread as I felt the questions had been answered to the OP.

I just went through the second and third page and cannot believe that Ron is back doing this again. We had enough of you the first time. Now your back high jacking a thread on the open forum so you can get your point across and maybe sell a few “safe deck” calculations.

I for one would like to say sorry to the OP for putting you through this.
Nick needs to moderate this guy and stop this from happening again.
You are out of control Ron and you need to be muzzled.

Marcel, myself and about a dozen others already put you in your place a few years ago but you just won’t stop will you?

‘’‘’‘’

‘’‘’’

And Way beyond the scope of a standard home inspection.

Simple…We use a:

rule of thumb
phrase of rule

1. 1.
    a broadly accurate guide or principle, based on experience or practice [size=2]rather than theory. [/size] :mrgreen::stuck_out_tongue:

Useless posts by Ron Cherchuk

http://www.amazon.com/Ron-Cherchuk/e/B00NAPYIFA

Since March 2012 Ron Cherchuk has made 369 posts on the NACHI site .
NACHI is a forum of home inspectors for home Inspectors to show new things help answer and provide information about the industry.
Many home Inspectors have asked him to quit posting as he is adding nothing to improve our industry .
Ron does not seem satisfied with how home Inspectors operate .
I Roy Cooke and many others have asked him to please stop.
I ask again please stop wasting My and others time .

This is what I got
](http://www.amazon.com/)

**Looking for something? **
We’re sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com’s [FONT=“Calibri”]Home](http://www.amazon.com/) Page [/FONT]
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Customer Discussions
Ron Cherchuk forum
<style> .jsOffDisplayBlock { display: block; } .jsOffDisplayInline { display: inline; } .jsOffVisibility { visibility: visible; } .jsOnDisplayBlock { display: none; } .jsOnDisplayNoneBlock { display: block; } .jsOnDisplayNoneInline { display: inline; } .jsOnDisplayInline { display: none; } .jsOnVisibility { visibility: hidden; } .jqOnDisplayBlock { display: none; } .jqOnDisplayInline { display: none; } .jqOnVisibility { visibility: hidden; } .jqOnDisplayNoneBlock { display: block; } .jqOnDisplayNoneInline { display: inline; }< /style>
**Discussion **
**Replies **
**Latest Post **

No discussions yet

Ask questions, Share opinions, Gain insight
Top of Form

Start a new discussion
Topic:

First post:
To insert a product link use the format: [ASIN:ASIN product-title]] [FONT=“Arial”](What’s this?)](http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/product-link-help.html/ref=cm_cd_pl_help) [/FONT]
Since March 2012 Ron Cherchuk has made 369 posts on the NACHI site . NACHI is a forum of home inspectors for home Inspectors to show new things help answer and provide information about the industry. Many home Inspectors have asked him to quit posting as he is adding nothing to improve our industry . Ron does not seem satisfied with how home Inspectors operate . I Roy Cooke and many others have asked him to please stop. I ask again please stop wasting My and others time .
Receive e-mail when new posts are made

Bottom of Form

How do you use this “simple” rule of thumb??

‘’‘’‘’

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t570/ccowen6/photo110_zps8c76538a.jpg

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t570/ccowen6/photo110_zps8c76538a.jpg

Well…this post went in a whole other direction…Is it too late for another question related to my original post?
I mentioned this crack to our inspector after he left, since we hadn’t noticed it and he didnt mention it in his report. He texted me back “not a concern”. And hasnt given much of an explanation beyond that. Its confusing to me, since when he was here, he had said that “cracks coming from corners at an angle are concerning” but that the straight ones, in seams, like the ones we were speaking about at the time…were not. Well…then, why wasnt this one a concern? Its a crack coming out of a corner at an angle, isnt it? Is it because its too little? Something else?
And just as a FYI…our concern is not necessarily “safety”. We don’t expect that the house is going to come tumbling down on top of us or anything. The concern is simply not wanting to buy a house that is going to suddenly turn into a money pit of foundation issues :confused:

It’s not a structural concern. In reality cracks coming off corners at an angle are very common. The reason for this is: Most homes are built with green, meaning wet, not dry, framing lumber. During the first year this lumber dries and shrinks. In areas where there are concentrated loads, such as a header over a door or window opening, the wall components settle more than other areas, or non uniformly, and cracks appear. Thank you for your question.