Utilities OFF

Wayne
Explosive level of gases related to the LEL of the Gas

Not an absolute as you may think…

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41146412/ns/us_news-life/t/gas-explosion-rocks-philadelphia-neighborhood/

Professional Employee… Killed…

having worked within the Petrochemical industry
this type situation that occurred…

I have witnessed…
seen
and…

is quite understandable…

But not appreciated or recognized by many…

Joe I do think there is a big difference between a gas main Blowing and Lighting a Pilot would not generate enough gas to explode a home without a lager leak .

I know there is some that have made their own gas burner i had one 2 years ago, A lady want her Home Inspected for herself. As i was checking out the living room she said she would show me how she had to light the fire place.

I had my back to here when i heard the gas . Yes 6 feet and i heard it as i spun around she was standing about 3 feet away with a match. I stopped her. i shut the gas off and looked with amazement Straight feed off the gas line No gas valve .this guy just install a shut off.
I Immediately turn off the gas to the home and called the utilities . She bought this home 2 years prior and had a inspection . No one mention the gas fireplace.

Wayne…
Firefighters understand the Triangle
Fuel… Oxygen… Ignition Source…
All Three have to be in Equilibrium (relative to the material)
for ignition…

I have been in situations encapulated with SCBA
under water curtain…
to isolate explosive leaks…
(unbelievable to me that I did this at one time)

maybe I have a heightened awareness
of conditions and potential.
just me…

I was fire fighter and gas fitter Joe

I voted Yes but I would now change my vote to No and answer the same way Bob did (good answer Bob)

Joe,

So a home inspector was in this house as well?

Union Fitter?
I have worked with many Locals / Companies up and down the East Coast…

predominantly Nooter while working in Supervising Chemical Plant Construction.

No
But the Professional that we would defer too
was killed…

Your examples hold no merit. Someone working on a gas main??? Whole different creature then gas logs. :lol:
Guess I better not turn on my bar-b-q tommorrow. :shock:

Its your job to be able to inspect the gas logs and know that they are installed properly and how the basic functions work.

Thats what we are paid to do… People depend on us to ensure their equipment is function properly…

You have done all of this other great stuff but you won’t light a set of gas logs??

The example presented…
Is why I am many times reluctant
to defer to Professional Contractors…
(per PA Home Inspector Requirement)

If the Pilot is ON
I will Check

If not ON

NO…

Experience is a great Teacher
After you have some Experience…
You may understand…

Joe i worked for a large company in Canada , Worked on Boilers, And refrigeration Plants .
I also had a Oil burner License for unlimited BTU. Of course this was many Moons ago.
Even work on Boilers Using bunker c oil. Now that is a mess.
Did i just show my age lololol

Cool,

I used to work on a Chemical Processing Unit (ARCO) that made Bunker Fuel Oil…
lol

LOL Damn you , i used to come home looking like a coal Miner lol

No different here
some days, I can still smell it
:slight_smile:

98% of the Shaqs here are Bank Owned, the Main Circuit Breaker is off and the Water is turned off at the City Meter behind the curb. Listing agents don’t care if they sell homes which are being inspected, there are so many being sold without inspections (As Is), they don’t bother turning anything on nor will they.

I look through the Shaq, if everything is still in place, or capped off, I turn on the Main Breaker and leave the Water Heater Breaker off, it may not have water in it (yet), then crack the Brass Ball Valve at the City Meter just enough for water to barely flow with a hose bib open so I can see water trickling. The Main Water Valve at the exterior of the house is usually always on, I don’t touch that.

Then I look at every valve, supply line, etc, before turning water on a little more.

We generally don’t have to worry about pipes freezing here, so possible broken pipes isn’t something we normally have to deal with.

If I see a leak I turn the water off, inspect what I can, then charge for a return inspection.

This takes time, so I charge more for distressed properties.

I wonder how many that say “yes” to this poll is partly due to their typical weather conditions?

Of the 4 (so far) “yes” votes…

1 is in Arizona
1 is in Florida
1 is in Northern California (mild winter)
1 is in Illinois (average winter)

Turning on the water in states such as Minnesota would be a major no-no! Most every home that is vacant get’s winterized, and those that do, probably 80% of them are done incorrectly. Two of the first questions I ask when being interviewed is “is the home vacant” and “for how long”?

I turned on the water one time and immediately regretted it. No more.

Fortunately the leak from a burst pipe was within 10 feet of the shut off valve.

If it had been in a concealed space it would have been ugly.

I make sure my clients and agents have a clear understanding of who is responsible to have the utilities on BEFORE the inspection.

Of course the client or the agent is always welcome to turn it on themselves. :wink:

Funny no one does that ,eh?