Vent for Electric Furnace??

Came across a Miller Electric Furnace with AC today, in a manufactured home, that appeared to have a Vent to the roof.

Can anyone explain to me why an electric furnace would need a vent?

The Miller model is E2EB - 023HB and I believe that I’ve found the installation manual for it. http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/708172a.pdf . I can’t see any reference to a vent in the manual. Can anyone explain this? I can’t imagine that the manufacturer of the home would have gone to the trouble of installing a vent for no reason.

P1010027.JPG

Appears to be a fresh air intake. Perhaps the owners found the trailer air stagnent, humidity, orders?

That’s what I was thinking…

I was thinking it was a fresh air vent, too. I’m all for fresh air, but it seems that pulling bitter cold air directly into the heating supply ducts in the winter and then pulling in hot air in the summer when the AC is running, sure cuts down on the efficiency.

Plus, the vent is blocking the air flow around the evaporator coil somewhat.

There was enough rust on the coil to warrant further evaluation, I thought, so when that’s being done, I also recommended evaluating the installation and the appropriateness of the vent.

Mark

Looks like fresh-air intake to me too. Always a good idea, especially in mobile/manufactured type housing. I assume the AHU is a downflow/counterflow designed electric AHU, in which case the F/A duct is actually connected to the return side of the system. Air is drawn through the Evap.Coil and pushed through the S/A ductwork which I assume is located in the crawl space area underneath.
Just guessing here…

if the home was a “super good cents” home with the energy efficency package they are required to have an outside air intake to the furnace return

How does pulling in cold air over the heating elements of an Electric furnace make it more energy efficient? It seems to me that it is making less energy efficient. This is not a NG or oil furnace that requires combustion air.