You’re making up rules that don’t exist for this type of vent. If you want to cite this as a rule, find it in the code.
Fortunately, you apparently are not called upon to inspect such things.
You’re making up rules that don’t exist for this type of vent. If you want to cite this as a rule, find it in the code.
Fortunately, you apparently are not called upon to inspect such things.
The vent is required to be 6" above the flood rim of the fixture.
I am sorry if that is not clear to you.
The OP as displayed is not vented in anyway.
Water entering the drain has no source of air behind it.
That is what a vent or AAV does.
You are applying the wrong section- yet again. Reread - slowly this time - the first sentence of P3112.3. The air moves freely in the loop, which prevents siphoning. Hence the term “loop vent”
c’mon Mike try to stay with the applicable code section and not try to make up your own “rules” to fill in the holes in your argument.
Hopefully this will help. It demonstrates the water flow as pictured and how it blocks the source of vent air.
The draining water has no choice but to slow and try to pull air from the drain line. glug glug
Maybe water drains differently in Texas. lol
No. Mike please try to pay attention. The waste arm is 1-1/2 inches. The vent and drain assembly are two inches (sized for a wet vent). The 1-1/2 inch fixture drain cannot flow enough water to “block” the free flow of air through the two inch pipe. Air flows freely through the loop and prevents siphoning of the trap.
This is why the installation is restricted to ONE fixture and why the entire assembly must be a minimum of two inches in diameter (i.e., sized for a wet vent).
I’m sorry that you are confused by this, but I assure you that there are tens of thousands of houses configured exactly like this in the Houston area alone. I encounter them almost every day of the week. For you to be right, literally every AHJ in the Houston MSA and every master plumber doing new construction the Houston MSA and I would have to be wrong - You’re more likely to be struck by lightning.
Mike it’s a DIY forum thread, hardly an authoritative source. Congrats - you came to the same conclusion as Bubba.
I am sorry you can find nowhere that shows the OP installation as correct.
Good luck. some can be taught. Some cannot.
what is a loop vent in an island sink
Maybe Richard Trethewey can learn yah.
[quote=“mlarson, post:28, topic:102642”]
I am sorry you can find nowhere that shows the OP installation as correct.
Good luck. some can be taught. Some cannot.
what is a loop vent in an island sink
Maybe Richard Trethewey can learn yah.
[/QUOTE]If tenacity to a debate made one righter or typing the word “Period” after a statement, you would win. Fortunately that is not the case, though I’m sure that you are prepared to continue ad-nauseum. I am not.
As it is, I have refuted every one of your arguments with first hand references to the applicable code. The sole observable issue with this vent is that it does not extend high enough before making the offset.
You don’t understand how a loop vent works and I cannot make you understand that which you are not prepared to understand. You are wrong on this and have been since your first statement.
I’ll leave you to your unflinching ignorance on the matter.
Get over yourself chuck.
The" vent" pictured sucks.
I don’t care how they do it in Texas
It’s still wrong and very poorly vented.
Let me know when you find examples of what you claim to be true.
Are you sure you understand how venting works?
I agree Mike and to make another statement here;
The picture as presented by the OP would be wrong again due the fact it is not an island and there would be a more feasible way of venting the sink horizontally in the wall.
Therefore, this would be a call for the AHJ and I agree it is wrong.
For reference to persons reading this thread in the future. Following is the verbiage from the UPC
Note: The second paragraph is worded much more clearly than the IRC (though the intent is the same). The wording in the UPC helps avoid the trap of trying to apply the 6 inch flood rim rule to vents serving only a single fixture. It only applies when there are multiple island fixture vents.
Keep in mind that randomly sourced internet pictures, diagrams, video and forum threads (including this one), regardless of who’s opinion is being expressed (my own included) are not authoritative sources. The building codes (you must apply the correct ones) or your state SOP are authoritative sources.
Don’t you find it odd chuck that one cannot find a loop vent as depicted in the original post?
Yeah, funny that.
But don’t let me stop you from being ok with a bad installation practice.
I have to agree with you Mike. Not even sure if that OP picture is an island or a wall.
I’m unsubscribing from this thread.
Thank you. It really isn’t that hard to figure out.![]()
Hate to see you go, was just getting interesting. :mrgreen:
So what did you learn?