Ventilation in attic

More likely a much worse problem.

The rust is likely an indication that the roofing or moisture barrier, or both, have failed. It appears that the sheathing is OSB, but the rust is a sure sign that moisture is getting under the roofing material.
If you are in a cold/snow area, check for possible ice-damn conditions as well.

Q

It has long been theorized that lack of ventilation is the reason for attic moisture. The moisture must be addressed. It may be coming from the basement or uncovered sump pump, overacting heater humidifier, or it may be normal moisture being concentrated at bypasses. Here is my video on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Izza_yiNUM

Take a look at that as a good start to understanding this issue.

Breaching? I thought that’s what whales do.

If you mean ‘breathing’ yup thats right. It is not heat, it is humid air that is causing the problem. Heat causes inside air to rise, but if there was a good vapor barrier it would not be able to enter the attic. Humid air can also come from leaking duct work or exhaust ducts not vented to exterior, through unsealed light fixtures in the ceiling etc…

Insulation has little to do with causing the problem. An attic with poor insulation but a good continuous vapor barrier (and no roof leaks) should still be dry (and there won’t be ice ;-))

Hiya Group,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the moisture meters that some of you use in conjunction with your IR cameras. I have seen the GE used in most of the instructional videos, however, I was curious if that would be the best choice from a home inspection standpoint? I really appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Ed Rossi
FL State Certified Real Estate Appraiser RD 3731
FL State Certified Home Inspector HI 1583

Tramex is the best in my opinion, I’ve never had any problems with them, and I also have the small pin and pinless Protimeters