Vermiculite Release

I have a client that needs a sample of vermiculite insulation for a lab. I have already spoke with the lab that does the testing and I’m willing to take the sample. Does anyone that provides this service have a sample release?

Release from Whom and for What?

IMO… you need a copy of the Sellers Authorization to perform the ACM Test, and you should not perform one without it (in writing)! This applies to all non-Home Inspection testing, eg. Mold, Radon, Asbestos, Lead, etc. These tests place an additional burdon and legal responsibility on the Seller and is NOT automatically allowed with a Home Inspection. These items are typically addressed in the PA, but not always, depending on the State and local regulations.

Thanks Jeffrey,

It seems I need a release from the homeowner that I am not responsible for asbestos fibers in the home (there is already vermiculite tracked down the attic stairs, not by me). In my mind, the current owner could say that I disturbed the vermiculite and caused asbestos to be in the home. I am not doing testing, just been asked to collect a sample by the potential buyer. I will ask the Realtor about obtaining a sellers authorization.

Considered one and the same. You are taking a sample for the Lab to analyze.
Be sure you have a proper COC (Chain Of Custody) filled out which is required to be submitted to the Lab with the Sample.
Also… did you verify if your State requires you to be Licensed to collect said Sample?

Don’t “Ask”, ‘Inform’ them you will need a copy of the Seller Authorization that specifically states their permission for Asbestos Sampling and Testing.
No permission, No Testing. Period!

1 Like

I was about to ask this very thing.
Just handling the sample and taking it away may require a protocol and additional steps.

1 Like