Water heater in attic

OK ,but you ruined my anger before bed ritual.

I use 2 of the 3 statements below whenever I see a water heater in the attic.

“A water heater is located in the attic. It should be periodically monitored for leaks or deterioration.”

“The visible portions of the water pipes in the attic are insulated and are in acceptable condition, but should be monitored because of their location. Leaks from pipes that pass through an attic can be soaked up by insulation, and are difficult to detect until significant damage is evident elsewhere.”

“Water pipes in the attic are un-insulated and insulation is recommended to prevent freezing. The pipes should be monitored because of their location. Leaks from pipes that pass through an attic can be soaked up by insulation, and are difficult to detect until significant damage is evident elsewhere. Note: combustible insulation should not be closer than 1” to a water heater flue."

1 Like

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Would you use the same statement to describe a water heater in a 2nd floor utility or laundry room?

I myself, point out Visible Water Piping in Attics in all of my Reports. :smiley:

I don’t.:smiley:

I thought you were the alarmist here advising that the client be informed of the potential for catastrophe.

I gathered that James. :smiley:

An alarmist…meaning I do not soften my inspection reports to help salesmen push houses…is exactly what I am.

A supply line running through an attic is a bit different to me than a temporary (8 to 12 year life span) storage device holding 50 gallons of water over the baby grand piano without adequate measures of diverting the flow when it eventually fails. But that’s just me.

You guys do what you want.

Just seems odd to me that you’re not OK with a water heater but you are OK with a water pipe crossing over that piano. How much water comes out of a water pipe that springs a leak?

He just recently got his latest Logo. :wink:

As much as the pipe running through the wall to get there…and as much as the pipe running between the floor and the finished basement ceiling…and as much as…blah, blah…

I think running a water pipe over an electrical panel is stupid, but it is allowed.

Not so.

"E3405.3 Dedicated panelboard space. ***The space equal to the
width and depth of the panelboard and extending from the floor
to a height of 6 feet (1829 mm) above the panelboard, or to the
structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the
electrical installation. *****Piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus
and other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall
not be installed in such dedicated space
. The area above the dedicated
space shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided
that protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical
equipment from condensation, leaks and breaks in such foreign
systems (see Figure E3405.1).

Exception: Suspended ceilings with removable panels
shall be permitted within the 6-foot (1829 mm) dedicated
space.

**Commentary: **A dedicated space above and below the panelboard
equal to the depth and width of the panelboard must be
maintained clear of all ducts, piping and other foreign
items. In basements, the heating and air conditioning
ducts are often run against a wall and the ceiling. To locate
the panelboard on a wall with a duct installed
above and tight to the wall is a code violation, unless
the duct is 6 feet (1829 mm) or more above the top of
the panelboard. That is not likely in most dwellings.
Many times, the electrician arrives at the job site first
and installs the panelboard and the wiring, and later
the plumbing and HVAC contractor installs the piping
and ducts. This may seem to be acceptable if the wiring
is installed first; however, no such provision is in
the code. It is necessary for the electrician to know the
location of the ducts and pipes before they are installed
or for the installer of the ducts and pipes to
avoid the required clear space above the panelboard
(see Figure E3405.1)."

It is allowed over the six feet. That is what I meant. I have been down that road already with a new commercial building.

That’s not 6’ above the floor…it’s 6’ above the top of the panelboard. In a home, for all practical purposes, that means it cannot be installed over the panelboard at all.

Maybe you already knew that. Sorry but it wasn’t clear.

I will try to make it clearer next time.

"And God said to Noah, “I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for the earth is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits.” (Genesis 6:13-15 RSV)