Water heater to boiler configuration

True, true, @bcawhern1. In my reports I write it as “drip leg/sediment trap” to cover my bases.

Facebook !!

1 Like

I was messing with you, drip vs sediment. Here is a 272 comment original post on the subject brought to us by the now famous drip leg kid.

2 Likes

Is there a way to edit the photos within this chat system using arrows and magnifying glasses the way that they appear in your replies? I’m not seeing that function here.

I don’t think there is.

1 Like

Adam as a side every boiler manufacturer I’m aware of will require a check valve on the make up water supply to the boiler. It will be installed before the pressure reducing valve and protects the homes potable water from contamination from the boiler water.

That’s good to know. Thanks for sharing @mwilles !

1 Like

That’s an intense debate about drip leg versus sediment traps @bcawhern1 and @mwilles . It’s got some valuable perspectives, though.

2 Likes

Your comments don’t really make any sense to me, Robert, other than the part about the leak causing the yellow flame.

If you can’t be more specific I can’t help you.

the hot water heater is just operating as a water heater. you can clearly see the hot output of the water heater enters the wall. most likely going to all hot water supply. the output of the hot water heater is not being used to heat water for the boiler. very easy to follow the water lines.

And yes the burner supply line is leaking. Probably just needs tightened.

1 Like

Maybe you should look at the photograph again, @rkenney. The water heater exhaust flue enters BELOW the larger exhaust pipe for the boiler.

1 Like

Of course they’re both literally below the pipe.DUH Below and above relative to where they enter the flue pipe! Maybe you should think a little more.

It appears that they tapped off the water heater supply line to supply the boiler system with water. As far as the vents go, the larger of the two (BTU wise) should be on the bottom. Yes, the gas supply line to the burner is/was leaking.

Thank you, Russell. Would you please direct me to the standard or installation instructions that says that the larger of the two vents at the wye should be on the bottom?

1 Like

IFGC 503.10.4 Two or more appliances connected to a single vent or chimney.

1 Like

Good to know, Russell! I appreciate you sharing the information.