Water tanks in new construction

Can anyone explain why i keep finding water tanks with tpr routed through walls and exiting outside in new construction. From what i read through internachi class this is not allowed but i keep finding this almost every other inspection.

Contact a local reputable plumbing contractor for an answer. In many jurisdictions this is acceptable.

1 Like

Agree with Martin.

1 Like

Look at #7

P2804.6.1 Requirements for Discharge Pipe

The discharge piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature-relief valve or combination valve shall:

1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
  2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
  3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
  4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
  5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.
  6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
  7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
  8. Not be trapped.
  9. Be installed to flow by gravity.
  10. Terminate not more than 6 inches (152 mm) and not less than two times the discharge pipe diameter above the floor or waste receptor flood level rim.
  11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of the piping.
  12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
  13. Be constructed of those materials indicated in Section P2906.5 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.
  14. Be one nominal size larger than the size of the relief-valve outlet, where the relief-valve discharge piping is constructed of PEX or PE-RT tubing. The outlet end of such tubing shall be fastened in place.
1 Like

Thanks Roy i appreciate you taking the time to help. So #7 not be trapped ? What does that mean?. I was taught discharge line can not run through walls. I think i have been giving clients bad info.

Look at it again. Some way the numbering got off.
I corrected it.

It"s your interpretation of the rules. A trap is when the water does not flow freely. Such as p traps or dips in piping.
The rules want an air gap for various reasons. To see the water coming out and in case any of that piping becoming blocked the pressure can actually be released. Some climates ice can form outdoors.
I don’t actually provide useful information listen to the experts aka a plumber

Sure looks like IPC plumbing codes. UPC plumbing codes allow discharge to the outside of the home.

This is why home inspectors should steer clear of quoting plumbing codes. Always best to ask a reputable local licensed plumbing contractor for local codes. Sometimes codes are amended in every city and every county.

1 Like

Please contact your local plumber! I’ve been licensed in three different states. I’ve been a licensed plumber in UPC, IPC. Just contact your local plumber for clarification.

You’re going to get some crappy information on this forum when the responder has no knowledge of your jurisdiction. You’ll make a false claim in your report and look like a fool.

2 Likes

Chapter 28 of the IRC.

Thank you all for the info. This does help

This is in my report.
It may not be appropriate for your area. However, I doubt it.

“According to present day requirements, water heaters should have a pressure relief valve and drain line which flows by gravity to the exterior, or downward to within 6 inches of the structure floor. The size of the drain line should match the outlet size of the relief valve, and an auxiliary pan with a 1” drain line, which drains to the exterior is required underneath when the unit is installed at or above the level of the living area. "

I would stop taking these internachi classes.
Another person taking them said their video told him that due to energy requirements that tank heaters may explode in 3-5 years.

You are nuts!

1 Like

I’m not nuts if they are teaching things that just are not true

That GUEST was trying to convince everyone to buy tankless water heaters.

I’m sure that is why but that Guest spot should of been edited out of the video, because the guy listening to the video believed it. Now we are off topic.

1 Like

@kshepard
That is Kenton Shepard. He was just listening to the guy.
I tagged Kenton. Lets see if he chimes in on this subject.

The student who posted on forum

I’m done…

1 Like