What criteria for items in the 'summary' of the report

Originally Posted By: psiposs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Have the report writen with several findings etc, but what specific criteria should be included in only the Summary at the end? I know that a lot of people and Realtors will read the summary first, but I don’t want to rehash everything I wrote in the main report.

Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

psiposs wrote:
Have the report writen with several findings etc, but what specific criteria should be included in only the Summary at the end? I know that a lot of people and Realtors will read the summary first, but I don't want to rehash everything I wrote in the main report.
Suggestions?

Things with a dollar value above $X to repair or replace, you decide what $X is, $100, $500 or $1000. My software automatically creates the summary pages so I can't decide. Good luck.

That implies that I gave a dollar figure to repairs. Thought that was a no-no. One item I have is a correction to be made by the electrica company since its before the meter. Wires are caught it a tree and pulling hard. No cost to home owner.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

My s/w allows me to choose what to include in the Summary. I generally include any repairs or action items that require action on someone’s part, either the client or the seller or a tradesman. I don’t include any general knowledge or information that I might include in the body of the report. Mine is certainly not a scientific method.

Originally Posted By: bking

Here is part of my summary: I just list the item number in the report and a brief description of it under the appropiate section.

Items are grouped as follows as a courtesy only, items under any of the following categories may be considered a defect but this is the sole decision of the client. This is not a repair list for the seller, the buyer should understand that many homes will have inspection issues and the use of this report for negotiations should be trusted to a Realtor that understands all issues involved. All safety, electrical, roof and defective items should be treated as a high priority. I recommend a re-inspection be performed after repairs and upgrades are complete.

Defective Items:

Immediate Safety Hazards:

Potential Safety Hazards:

Substandard or in need of improvement:

Maintenance Items:

Using HomeGauge I see the option to include things in the Summary to prevent having to rewrite the data again.

Still, wondering a bit about suggestions to look into vs need to repair items.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I don’t use a summary page. I want all involved to read the entire report. IMHO, providing a summary gives the client an easy way out of not reading the entire report.

Originally Posted By: away

Peter,

For me, I use the following to determine what to include on a summary page:

1. Items that I call out in need of a more technical evaluation by qualified professionals prior to closing i.e. evidence of arcing in an electrical system component.

2. Safety issues i.e. a disconnected dryer vent spewing lint into the attic and all over the gas furnace two feet away (I actually found this once).

3. Conditions that could get expensive once my client's take ownership i.e. if moisture has deteriorated an undersink space but no active leak is present. Once the client starts ripping out cabinets they may be faced with floor/subfloor issues, the "M" word, sheetrock damage, etc. This would be a pre closing issue if the leak were active.

4. Reiterate that any applicable warranty paperwork be filled out and filed with the appropriate companies i.e. pool, foundation repair, new roofs, etc. This is really a pre closing issue since most companies require transfer at ownership change.

For anything I put on the summary page I always remind the client to read the appropriate section fully for more information.

My software allows me to select how much or how little of a comment gets copied to the summary page so am not re-writing the whole report.

I hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: kshepard

cost to replace. (judgement call)

2. Safety issues, including practically everything electrical.

I verbally instruct the client to read the Full Report and mention that necessity in the Summary Introduction.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

I no longer give a summary page.

To get the information they need to read the whole report.

Works for me . Roy sr

Originally Posted By: wdecker

3 criteria:

1) WL - Watch List - Items that are still working and do not pose a problem, but that will, in the near future. Popcorn sounds from a water heater, may need to replace in the near term. Roof 'near the end of its useful life'. Also maintenace item reminders.

2) RR - Repair / Replace - Items that are broke and will lead to more significant problems in the future. Leaky roof, ungrounded, polarity issues with outlets, etc.

3) SD - significantly deficient - Defined in our stat law as items that are 'unsafe or not functioning' Outlets that are unpowered, furnace that 'doesn't work'. Also, lack of adequate combustion air for furnaces, water heaters, etc. lack of GFCI, AFCI protection in areas that, under current standards, require it, as an unsafe condition.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: dandersen

I can see pros and cons of using a summary page. I use one.

I basically address the criteria that real estate contracts in my local area are concerned with. When the purchase and sale agreement states that the house will be in working order as of the date of possession, I interpret this to mean that "if it is broken it must be repaired". This excludes recommendations, items at the end of their useful life that are still operational, maintenance requirements/recommendations etc..

I also include a section of items that will likely need replacement in the near future. This would be issues like extremely deteriorated HVAC equipment, roofs etc.. The purpose here is to point out to the client that they have items which should be budgeted for in the near future. These items listed are generally high dollar repairs. I don't want somebody putting all their eggs into one basket when buying a house and not being able to afford future repairs that may cause an excessive financial burden. These issues are totally my opinion, no projection of costs or future life expectancy is implied. This is not based on manufactured date of HVAC equipment, rather the actual physical condition of the appliance at the time of inspection.

I exclude minor repairs that are listed in the report. I like to use the summary page because it places the report in perspective. A used home is like a used car, there will be minor blemishes and defects. We do not expect to get brand new tires on a used car, however we expect them to hold air and not be bald.

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

1) AREAS NOT INSPECTED (Sealed access, etc):

2) NOTES:

3) SUMMARY OF CRITICAL AREAS Relating to Safety and Function:

4) SUMMARY OF AREAS OF CONCERN Relating to Safety and Function: