What is Acceptable Attic Temperature compare to Outside\Inside ?

I agree, it is now inside the buildings insulated envelope and should be conditioned as such.

1 Like

Hi Les. I think there has been little change in building standards since then. In my opinion what I posted is still current info. Do you think differently? I would like to know your opinion. Thanks

Hey Brian. Yes, these are pretty rare in the southeast as you know, but the garage I’m building has a conditioned attic. I don’t want my stored items to get moldy or overheated so I insulated my roof. Pretty rare around here. I have only inspected a handful of attics built this way.

Blower door test after insulation was 1.4 ACH
I haven’t even done drywall yet. I will have it tested again after drywall and interior trim are complete (in a month or two I hope).

I am considering SPF my hip roof. However, I do not want to condition the space because of my HVAC configuration (it is in the crawl). But I would love to have a clean, conditioned space for light storage.

1 Like

My garage has closed cell sprayed on the concrete blocks (CMU) and upstairs is open cell. 5.5" thick in the stud walls, 9.5" thick under the roof. It’s very quiet inside the upstairs rooms. I’m looking forward to low energy bills. (hardly anybody around here builds like this)

1 Like

For an unconditioned attic, you’r right, Bert.

1 Like