What recourse do I have on a flawed inspection?

(system) #1

We just received an inspection with a clear cut error concerning TPR pipe materials. The inspector says only galvanized or copper is allowed, yet the NACHI web clearly recognizes other materials including CPVC as acceptable. I provided him a link and an explanation. He has stone walled admitting his error, casting doubt on the inspection.

Is there some way to get him to re-state the position?

(Michael Larson, WI Lic. # 1672-106) #2

It’s a very small error. Errors happen. There may easily have been other issues with the TPR beyond materials.

Review the rest of the report thoroughly and then discuss it with him.

I have issued revisions for minor errors or mistatements. It’s not a big deal as long as everyone agrees in the end.

(James H. Bushart) #3

If you purchased the services of a home inspector, you are free to accept or reject anything the report includes.

If you did not purchase the report and have a difference of opinion, the inspector has no duty to you and will likely disregard your input.

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #4

Also, what you read on the InterNachi website is one thing. What your local AHJ mandates is another. Your AHJ will always have authority over any Association standards.

(Chuck Evans, CMI TREC 7657) #5

If you are the client/buyer, you can simply ignore his comment, but be leery of other absolutes he may have in the report too.

If you are the seller and not the inspector’s client and a buyer is requesting repairs, simply tell the buyer that the inspector is wrong in his assertion and that CPVC is suitable for T&P discharge piping (make sure that you know CPVC from PVC and which you have before you make a statement that the material you have in place is appropriate).

(Christopher Currins, CMI) #6

Exactly. CPVC isn’t allowed to be used for the TPRV discharge pipe in Illinois, only hard pipe.

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #7

PEX is also not allowed in some jurisdictions, but is in many others.