What's a fair price for a radon test with a monitor?

Also, I’m not finished with the internachi radon course but I’m getting there. Can a radon test be done in an occupied home? I’m wondering if I can offer radon to anybody, in home or not.

Just wanna make sure since you have not finished the internachi training yet…. Have you looked into your states requirements? In my state I had to get licensed in one of two organizations (I went with Nrpp), which included sending my detector to a radon chamber. After that was done I had to actually get my state certification, which included submitting my SOP (standard operating procedures) and QAP (quality assurance plan), which had to address my states laws (such as submitting my results to the state every month). And since I work radon in two states, that meant doing it twice (with two different sets of state requirements, meaning two qap) with tw different requirements for submitting reports.

If your state requires you be licensed and you’re not, that can be pretty hefty fines… make sure you’re covered before you work.

2 Likes

Yes, they can be home. You need to have them sign a “Cooperative Agreement”. Closed house conditions are required. At each test, you also need to utilize and document your Tamper Prevention Procedures that’s part of your Quality Assurance Plan and QA documents. You enter an adversarial position when the seller lives in the home being tested, so these issues become important to having reliable readings.

1 Like

Yeah a google search for Utah said I need a license for radon mitigation only.

Thanks this is informative. Sounds like too much BS to deal with lol.

Don’t do radon testing if that’s what you think! You will be doing a disservice to the public, who pay a testing professional for raliable readings. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers and is a recognized human carcinogen. You’re also creating legal vulnerability to you and your business.

Good point Michael. Does internachi have a cooperative agreement form that you use? Also, does the customer sign any type of QA agreement?

Page 24 of ARRST Standards This is the protocol that most state licensing agencies follow.

There is information there about your QA plan, maintaining records, duplicates (req’d every 10 tests), crosschecks (req’d every 6 months). These procedures and checks are used so you can tell your client and the mitigation company that your test result is reliable. The additional records are for documentation, “just in case”, and for further internal investigation if you find your readings are outside the expected variation.

I had a calibration that I questioned because of these procedures, for example.

1 Like

Thanks Michael that link is very informative! Pretty much just about everything I need to know. I’m assuming I can get those forms off of their website correct?

Go look for yourself and find out!

2 Likes

Do any of you guys have problems with the realtor letting you back in the home once the test is over?

Always. It’s not their job to babysit you for a Radon test.

1 Like

So generally, do they give you a difficult time about getting access to the house to retrieve your equipment and finish the test?

why would they give you a hard time? You have the same customer.

But there are bigger questions you failed to ask.
Generally, how will you access the home? If you do not have access to a Supra Key, (which most but not all inspectors have) then cooperation with the realtor is paramount. Some realtors will not be cooperative with inspectors who do not have access. You will have to cross that bridge on a case by case basis.

Who is your customer? If it is the homeowner, then no realtor is involved.

1 Like

Thanks Brian. To get a supra key, do I just ask for one from the realtor? Do I have to return it to them or is it some type of “temporary” key?

Nope. I use either my SupraEkey, the code given to me through ShowingTime, or other means communicated to me by the parties involved. As a last result, I use a BFH. Either way, my equipment is coming home with me.

5 Likes

As a side note, it is always best to try and set it up so the radon test is finished at the time of the home inspection (drop it off at least two days prior to the inspection). That way your equipment is out before any chance of shit hitting the fan.

3 Likes

Correct but I think I told you before that my business plan is offering radon and eventually sewer scopes only. I’ll be marketing to home inspectors, realtors, and just anyone else through sites like nextdoor, etc.

1 Like

That’s fine. But the home inspection is still the most likely thing to cause a backlash from the listing agent. So try and set it up to be in and out before the home inspection report is published. Probably not a huge deal though. I can’t imagine someone not letting you back to gather your stuff for the most part.

I see thanks Ryan.