What's Your Narrative on This One?

If you don’t give me the temperature differentials, I can’t tell you squat!!! :wink:

Here ya go Josh … :mrgreen:

JF Humor Award Certificate.jpg

Hear! Hear!

LOL… hanging that one on the wall

Agreed

That would be a caption contest winner!!!

The Realtors Friend Inspection Company

You will never get a call again for referral comment.

It appears that the furnace was installed wrong. Recommend the furnace to be lifted, placed horizontally and installed on solid cement blocks. This will allow the vent pipe to have the proper pitch of 1/4 per foot rise up to the breech in the chimney. LOL

It’s fine they got fresh air hooked up:D

** **IRC 2012 G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations. ** **Appliances shall not be located in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms, storage closets or surgical rooms, or in a space that opens only into such rooms or spaces, except where the installation complies with one of the few exceptions that deals with air changes per hour.

You had to pull out the code BEN didn’t you. Now this thread is going to be 100 posts long. LOL

Code… The foundation of all inspection truth.
:slight_smile:

I disagree.

Understanding why the code exists is.

I’m not a code inspector, are you?

facetious :slight_smile:

No need to site code ever if you understand why it is there and an explain it.

Nothing facetious(lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous) at all.

I thought you would know that :wink:

True for reporting issues. In fact the words “code” and “violation” shouldn’t be in a report, except to disclaim them.

But in a forum like this sometimes it’s helpful to quote where that information came from (particularly for safety and installation related issues), so that members can verify the requirements for themselves. I think it’s a good habit to get into, and I encourage that. Not that anyone ever posts incorrect answers to questions … :ack!:

I am in complete agreement Robert:D

The situation is a sad truth thas is done all to often. I visited my son off campus apartment and found this same heater in his bedroom. I contacted the land lord and asked it the fire dept approve the installation. He said yes and ask for proof of the certificate. He said he’ll send it. A few days later my son said he was getting an electric heater replacement. The conditions of off campus housing is amazing. I think if you live in a collge town you could market saftey inspections as an added service.

Most college towns require fire inspections every year. However, they often do not get told of where these “multi-occupied” residences are. A lot of insurance companies are getting involved with campus housing, and are hiring their own inspectors to check properties. Off-campus is another story.

I think Nick and Kenton put it really well… "Inspectors should follow the same rules as building codes by providing more information about conditions or situations which carry high liability, but quoting building codes in a narrative is not a good idea. Home inspections are not code inspections – they are inspections for safety and system defects. For reasons related to liability, it’s important to keep the two separate. If an inspector quotes a code in a narrative, an attorney may argue that the inspector was performing a code inspection and was responsible for finding all code violations.

Because building codes were developed to address safety in buildings, it’s difficult to avoid referring to them occasionally. When a narrative refers to building codes, it’s better to use a different term, such as “modern safety standards” or “generally accepted current standards.”
That’s from a recent article http://www.nachi.org/writing-report-narratives.htm

Ben,

All of what you said is valid, except for one important piece you left out; you need to refer to the correct code when you quote it.

In your Code quote, you mentioned surgical rooms. For yoiur quote to be valid, you would need to know whether the IRC is applicable, or if NFPA 101 applies. For virtually EVERY hospital setting in the United States, the NFPA Life/Safety Code applies, and the IRC does not when pertaining to life and safety.

Beyond that, I really do not care other than to observe and report on the readily apparent condition of the system seen at the time of the inspection, using non invasive inspection techniques.

Even using this limited approach, your photo has LOTS of defects worthy of reporting, and which will provide the correct commentary, which states in flowery terms that the system shown is a piece of crap that will likely injure or kill someone while in operation.:wink:

I’m getting so jaded that I will probably start using narratives similar to the one mentioned above. I may even create a reporting package that includes this type of narrative. I’ll call it “Jaded Inspector Report Writing Software”. I’ll bet I sell a ton of them.

Keep the Client informed. Keep the report simple. Say what you feel…