Wind Mitigation - 2001 FBC Roof

Yes—you get all of that for $75 to $120—:smiley: LOL-----many building departments have web sites that can give you that information and some property appraisers web sites have that infromation!

I’m with you 100% on this Chris.
It’s become rediculous how much people rely on what others interpret.
I say read the document yourself and stick to it.

I would like to agree, but what do you do when they re-inspect and say you were wrong? You client looses credits, has to pay more money and the agent is pissed. How do you tell them your interpretation is correct? You could have done more harm than good.

I think should we should know how and why others may interpret the form differently and than make an educated decision. It leaves you in a much better position. IMHO

I do not care what comes after the or, if the roof meets the 2001 Florida building code the roof should get credit.

Interesting; I was doing some research on another matter earlier today and was referencing my 1997 SBCCI code book which was used in all of Florida from 1997 too 2002 with the exception of Dade and Broward. When looking at the requirements for installing shingles the 1997 code was actually more more restrictive than FBC 2001. '97 required the same nail penetration as 2001 but specified a minimum of 6 nails per shingle. FBC 2001 only requires 4 nails or per mfg. instructions. So the reality of the matter is if the roof was permitted on or before March 1997 it would technically meet the requirement of OIR-B1-1802

If I remember right 1997 was the year they changed it to 6 nails. Problem was the standards for the shingles themselves most of them met the standards but unless a permit was applied for there was no way to be certain that they did. Unless the roof was finalled there is no way to verify the materials applied coincided with the application. I go by permit application date because that is what the form specifies and that inclement weather here in 2004-5 left most of the records mute in my county.

The only difference I could see from the 1997 SBCC and the 2001 FBC in regards to shingle roofs is the requirement for the Class F (or G) shingle which is supposedly rated for a higher wind speed.

A home could obviously meet Florida 2001 building code even if it was built before that date. It could have been retrofitted, or built to a much higher standard than building codes of it construction date which meet or beat the 2001 code. What are the exact criteria to meet the 2001 FBC as it pertains to wind mits? Can it be verified without documentation? How can you verify roof to wall connection if you don’t check every truss/rafter? There are many questions with the wind MIT form. It seems unsurprising to me that many inspectors have made honest mistakes, not the fault of there own, in the past by misinterpreting the questions on the form. Does anyone ever feel 100% confident that they have done their job for the homeowner with all this vagueness. I’m new at this and still confused a bit. Help

It seems to me that the wind MIT form needs instructions on exactly what the criteria is for each question, and how to fill it out. Example: does question 1 mean that the houses permit date is the deciding factor. We are not code inspectors. Some inspection companies are able to endorse a product on a house with no permit pulled for say, the roof, and say it passes FBC. I just watched a 4 part video on utube from Pensicola insurance inspections and they said they can do that. Need answers. Want to do what should be a simple inspection correctly. Crazy that there would be any gray areas on such an important subject. The rule makers in this state are pretty brain dead and they suck at designing forms.

I’m not stupid, just ignorant. I am capable of taking a picture and gathering data. Why would we have to interpret if some thing is done to code. That sounds like the insurance companies job. We should only gather the needed info for them so they can make an educated decision. Stupid!!

Must be close to Halloween with all these scaryyyy ghost threads coming back to life. :twisted:

Can I assume you are talking about the training materials? It doesn’t say it - but I distinctly remember, and have notes on it, that York always stated the 3 nail requirement in his classes.

Hello. I know this is an old posting but it was interesting that even today the same speculation seems to exist. If any one can help me I would be most grateful. I just did a wind mit on a home permitted on 3/29/1994. I am uncertain as to how to answer question 2 on Citizens. Primarily how do I tell if the “roof covering” meets the “Product approval listing current at the time of installation”.
everything else looks like the client should get the discount . Strapping looks good, truss’s nailed at 4", 8 d nails used, etc. .
it is just that the permit date is just before 9/1/1994.
which box do I check? Thank you.

A. All roof coverings listed above meet the FBC with a FBC or Miami-Dade Product Approval listing current at time of installation OR have a roofing permit application date on or after 3/1/02 OR the roof is original and built in 2004 or later.

B. All roof coverings have a Miami-Dade Product Approval listing current at time of installation OR (for the HVHZ only) a roofing permit application after 9/1/1994 and before 3/1/2002 OR the roof is original and built in 1997 or later.

C. One or more roof coverings do not meet the requirements of Answer “A” or “B”.

D. No roof coverings meet the requirements of Answer “A” or “B”.

Remember you aren’t there to give discounts. You’re there to verify wind mitigation features/details

By verifying the product approval from a known source (permit, paperwork, receipt, etc.). No approval, no rating.
Keep it simple.
If you can’t substantiate the item in question, choose the appropriate box. Guess whose phone is going to ring when it blows apart and they want to subrogate the damages?

Dom.

1 Like

Thanks Dom, Very Helpful as always!