Wood Gussets 1976 Modular Ranch Home?

1976 modular home with steel joists connected with steel I Beam and brackets I also noticed steel rim joist construction!

Located in Pocono PA where we do get high winds not usually above 90 mph but hurricanes do come in this far but winds diminish sometimes!

You may want to consider Brian’s commentary, then…

1 Like

Okay here my 2¢.

Aside from the lack of insulation, inadequate or no vent, and the organic growth on the deck materials, I don’t see any problem with the structure and wouldn’t write up anything as a defect unless I see one.

But if you feel comfortable recommending a SE because you think the gussets aren’t properly attached, or whatever other reason you may want, then by all means do it and sleep well tonight.

But keep in mid that if you put a statement that the home isn’t built to current standards in your report, that you’d be putting that note/defect in every report for homes 5, 10, 20 years and older, as the “standards” are in a constant state of flux.

A home built to older standards doesn’t mean it’s not structurally sound.

I’d be curious to see what Randy or any other local MB SEs would say about those trusses. @rmayo

5 Likes

Believe it or not the soffits were well vented and had 2 gable vents! But no ridge vent!

And the Potential environmentally hazardous substance that typical of mold was located on the rear section of roof sheathing! Strange!!

I run into attic mold a lot in this area - usually on both sides.

Definitely low insulation but not recommending adding any until ridge vent is installed!!

2 Likes

Unless you see a defect in the roof system such as a broken rafter or significant sag I wouldn’t call out a modular home roof system as defective. Modular homes were engineered to the current building standards in the state in which they were built.

6 Likes

Thanks Randy. Always appreciate your expert advice. :+1:

1 Like

This is not a safety issue, unless it is in fact defective, which at that point becomes a “significant defect” covered by the SOP.

Also, it specifically states that the report does not cover prediction of future conditions/failures.

So just what are we including here?

1 Like

Just curious, what does outdated mean? Modern trusses use different materials. This does not mean the older materials are inferior. In fact, the wood truss material used back then appears to be much more superior than what is used today.

Furthermore, how do they repair damaged trusses/gussets today? Typically with plywood.

4 Likes

Borrowed from a Member/Expert… (don’t recall when, so no link to a thread)…

Thanks Randy!!

3 Likes

Not sure what you are driving at here… Are we predicting someone will be electrocuted if we recommend GFCI’s be installed? Do we wait for a tornado to happen (in the area) before we recommend anchoring a manufactured home? Of course not…

So you expect the seller to replace the roof because you don’t like that they used wood gussets in years gone by?

Try reading the SOP again.

1 Like

You have to calculate the node forces, the required repair throat areas, and fastener schemes. Just throwing up plywood and nails means nothing. I’ve lost count of the number of improperly repaired trusses that I’ve been called in to look at.

Never implied anything of the sort and it is you that is mis-interpreting the SOP.

Wow I never thought all this would happen by basically asking do these look like older style truss gussets and should I just say that they are not in accordance with current standards or construction practices! Haha :joy:

And now I feel like everything is being dissected !
Splitting hairs ! If that’s how they used to make them I’ll leave it at that!
And yes outdated wiring / conduit in an electrical panel is different material (cloth ) and modern romex is like rubber (NM) but yes metal gussets are obvious and I know what the modern ones look like! And if wood ones are not outdated then how come they don’t use them anymore in manufactured homes?

Please let’s keep it simple! I’ve learned its way easier softer way of life !
I’m not a Brain Surgeon just a home inspector that in this state doesn’t even have to be licensed!Haha

Ps : Thank you all for the help !!! Please let’s end this discussion! Haha

It is, and get used to it. It is the way of a Professional Industry!
This is NOT Facebook or Facetime or some other cockamaime wannabe ‘club’!

Naaa not true !! I’ve had 4 back surgery’s and neck surgery by a Brain surgeon (Neurosurgeon) and they don’t Do any of this !!

Haha :joy:

I would say the answer to your question is because metal gussets are cheaper and easier to manufacture and install than the old hand built trusses of the past with wooden gussets.

4 Likes

George, it doesn’t help anyone to do a drive-by comment and then move on without explaining yourself and helping those that may respect you, and others, to understand your position. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Unless the house is new, current standards are completely irrelevant. Your comments would provide no value to the customer and could cause undue concern and confusion on the part of someone who is trying to understand what the relevance of standards from a time other than when the house was built would have. If the house’s systems and components are in good condition and functioning as intended, that’s what matters.

Further, any reasonable person who buys an old home isn’t going to expect it to have modern materials or be built to standards that didn’t even exist when the home was built. No reasonable person is going to walk into a 50 year old house and expect it be built exactly the same as a house that was built today.

The question that you should ask yourself with ANYTHING that you put in a home inspection report is “What value does this information have to the reader of the report?” An inspection report should be clear, concise, accurate, and relevant. Standards from any time other than when the house was built are completely irrelevant.

6 Likes

Thank you, George.