WTF Picture of the Day

Did you grab a photo of the underside?

Call it “De Furred Maintenance”

1 Like

I dont have photos but I checked the underside and didn’t see any posts. Looks like they framed the columns with 2x6s and plywood sheathing as if it was a wall. If there is a post it is in the middle of the colum but that wouldn’t work with the girder and a 4x12 beam running parallel to each other on the top.
Clasic WTF condition. I will let them figure it out and come back to see if it makes sense. They will probably need their engineer to help them with this.

2 Likes

This one is going to be fun. And what is going on under here? No hangers and a single i-joist carrying the load?

I am also curious how they are going to handle water across the top of this soffit?

3 Likes

This was exterior shearwall inspection, only.
The circled floor trusses were top chord bearing type that were supported by double truss girder. That was ok for now, I will take a closer look at them during the framing inspection.

1 Like

You may want to look at the drawings and see what size post that is supposed to be and what size footing and how far the footing or wall was supposed to extend past the post.

1 Like

Like Brian mentioned something just don’t look right with this framing.

1 Like

View out the bathroom window into a light well. The white stuff is mostly asbestos that’s fallen here from above:

1 Like

…and, people pay $ for a view like that… :flushed:

2 Likes

Slumlord slums.

3 Likes

Slimylords… :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

You have asbestos falling from the skies there ???

1 Like

SSW-MCA_450x600-1

From steam heating pipes, common in the area… The big building boom in my area was just after 1906. Guess why? And guess what seemingly obvious improvement to building standards did not happen at the time?

Earthquakes

Seismic mitigation.

Mass migration from San Francisco, after the City was destroyed primarily by fire. The new construction followed the exact same practices, with no notable change in fire or seismic hardening. No foundation bolts, no consistent use of asbestos shingles, balloon framing w/o fire blocks… none of the low hanging fruit was picked. Only a few owner/builders caught on and did these things.

Now, 114 years later, I still come across Victorian homes worth $1M sitting on brick foundations, ready to crumble at the slightest shake. Local large quake frequency? Every 140 years or so. Last big quake? 1868.

A no-picture WTF:

Imagine a shower retrofited under a stairwell.
With a shower pan.
With a toilet and sink in the shower pan.
A light, with a switch.
And a 2 prong electrical outlet.
With a lamp, shaver and toothbrush plugged in.
All literally in the shower pan.

All new.
Everything seemed familiar, just like what I saw at the big boxy store with the orange logo…

1 Like

Interesting

Surpised that tailpiece is still holding with all that water weight!

4 Likes

Well, it does appear that there is a high loop on the dishwasher… :joy:

4 Likes