1802 FBC compliance

Does anyone else have a problem with the word compliance or inference to compliance of Florida Building Code (FBC) in the drafts of 1802?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Should an attorney review it for us?
[/FONT]

Besides being a pain in the a-s and such what about this.

**[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]The insurer may ask additional questions regarding the mitigated feature(s) verified on this form.

How are you going to charge for this. I suggest you all wake up and get this removed unless you like going back for free.

I will personally tell all customers that nothing additional will be provided without additional payment.

It gets worse and worse each time. Now come on lets hear from some fools that think we will be able to charge more. Come on I know you are out there.
**[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

The requirement to provide proof or documentation for each roof whether it be permits, FBC documents or whatever would seem to be onerous at best - How likely are we to be able to provided documentation especially in areas where internet searches are not an option? The form. as stated, requires Permit Application OR FBC product approval number OR date of installation. You KNOW that some clerk is going to interpret this to mean you have to provide ALL (because we all know that OR means AND)

nO DOES NOT MEAN AND AND i NEVER LET THEM PULL THAT CRAP.

What is different than now. Most insurance companies require proof now. The big difference is the documentation and being for ALL roofs. The form communicates what you have and what you do not. Currently most inspectors ignore roof sections less than 50% of the total.

For meeting the FBC on year built, it spells out what you should be doing.

The meeting FBC in the shutter section actually clarifies it for the client. The home owner needs to understand, meeting FBC does not always equate to a discount(ie., garage doors).

I have asked the OIR to change: “The insurer may ask additional questions regarding the mitigated feature(s) verified on this form.”

To something like this: The insurer may ask the Home Owner additional questions regarding the mitigated feature(s) verified on this form.
So the inspector is not responsible for extra data

Someone will ways over examine the form and change “or” for “and”. You are not going to stop it but should explain it when it happens. If you are worried about loosing discounts, that is not our job.

The new form is an attempt to have the inspector document findings instead of making determinations. There is more information there because inspectors and underwriters insist on interpreting the form as they see fit. This should end some of that.

If you want to get the documentation portion changed, I suggest that, for a period of six months everyone obtain a copy of the permits, NOA, and every single sheet of paperwork for each individual roof, shutter, door, etc. and start sending that in. It may take a little bit of time on your part, but what do you think the agents and underwriters will do when these reports start coming in at 150 or more pages for each report. Maybe then they will wake up and see how ridiculous the whole thing is.

No. We would get screwed that way as well and they would come to expect it :slight_smile:

Mikey, mikey

do you really think that they would read all of that information. Hell, they would not even be able to print it. Remember what happened when everyone started to send in all of their inspection report for licensing. That ended real quick.

If they do a “roof over” and have no permit but have an NOA for the new shingles do you mark? A/B C or D?

*“roof coverings listed above meet the FBC with a FBC or Miami-Dade Product Approval listing current at time of installation OR have a roofing permit application date on or after 3/1/02 OR the roof is original and built in 2004 or later.”
Notice by the statement you are stating that you have:
meet the FBC and have a NOA

OR

a **permit(after 2/28/2002) or the house was permitted in or after 2004 with the original roof.

So, if this is english then;OR have a roofing permit application date on or after 3/1/02 or…
Could be a permit pulled after 3/1/02, final inspection failed or was never called, and there is an open permit. The 1802 rev date 07/07 was fine, it just needed some additional pics. What about the 1994 SFBC? As the world turns, could you get the shutter wizard’s phone number, I think it will be needed:roll:

B. All roof coverings have a Miami-Dade Product Approval listing current at time of installation OR (for the HVHZ only) a
roofing permit application after 9/1/1994 and before 3/1/2002 OR the roof is original and built in 1997 or later.

Was left of my post for space

I think

OR have a roofing permit application date on or after 3/1/02 OR the roof is original and built in 2004 or later.

Should be changed to: OR have a properly completed roof with a roofing permit with an application date on or after 3/1/02 OR the roof is original and built in 2004 or later.

It sure did. Maybe :slight_smile:

Question # 1 Building Code:

No one has a problem signing a form that states the building was built in compliance with Florida Building Code FBC.

I do.

I do. I am not a code official and I would imagine that one day, someone is going to get nailed for performing a task they are not licensed for.

As long as there is no policing the pirate and miserable so called “inspectors” are going to be your competition. They give it away because they work out of their car, mind you they can only handle a hand full of accounts but there are so many of them out there its sick.

They may not be competitors when it comes to quality, education and overall final product but many people and agents don’t care for that; they just want that cheap way out and turn over a report (not really believing it’s junk) to get insured.

Caribbean Realty Support Services, Inc.

Jose’ F. Uz, BSCE, Ph.D., CRC, CPO, CHI, CHC, M-NFPA, NACHI Certified, IAC2 Certified, FHA INSP., Florida licensed inspector, Fellow of the ABI, State of Florida Engineering CA 27981, License # MRSA 1489 Cert # IAC2-01-6055,
HI-479 and JF 161046.

Nice to know someone with some experience agrees :slight_smile: