2x4 Floor Support?

It supports the split floor joist connections above.

Ron can you give me the title of that book? Where can I get it? Amazon etc.? Looks like a great resource! Thanks for sharing it!

Here you go

Ron Dean

Thank you very much…I am so shocked at the fast responses we all give in helping and informing each other. Thank you all!

1 Like

Just ordered it…thanks again!

Simon, yah that is what prompted my question…why not piers and beams?

Thanks Daniel. The drain line looked fine in person…I think the angle of the photo is a bit deceiving.

Thanks Robert. Bottom plate is PT. It is a vented crawl with poured concrete foundation walls. No piers just the knee wall supports about every 10 ft. Thanks for your input.

Greg, the code requires that all materials used follow the manufacturers installation instructions. The wire hanger manufacturers typically specify 12" to 16" spacing, and within 4" of the ends. You can look on line or grab a box at Lowe’s for typical instructions.
When it sags, the spacing is usually 2ft or more.

Add more hangers to achieve the code requirement of permanently securing the batting firmly to the underside of the subfloor.

I have not been able to find any research on the acceptability of installing a continuous vapor barrier to the bottom of the joists. I dont see it specified in the IRC or IECC. It will complicate inspection for termites, mold and framing.
So, i would not do it without written permission from the AHJ.

1 Like

Eric,
If you are in an earthquake region, then lateral and diagonal bracing may be required on each wall. The height of the knee walls is important to know to evaluate that.
If not in an earthquake zone, the general framing design would not be considered improper, unless prohibited by the AHJ for some reason, but I would encourage the homeowners to inspect it regularly for WDO damage. Wood support walls are obviously more susceptible to moisture and mold damage than concrete piers.

1 Like

It supports the split floor joist connections above.

There was a reason for framing this way, we just don’t see the whole picture other than the one presented.
I thought it was 2x6, but it might have been 2x4, hard to tell from the picture, but you can see that in the back ground, there is another row of continuous footing and knee wall again. Know where the OP is would help also to comment on anything else.

1 Like

The row of wood columns in the top photo is so much to one side of the continuous footing that I’d recommend the footing be analyzed for its load carrying ability, as well as the load carrying capacity of those unbraced wood columns.

1 Like