Foundation 2x2's

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

New construction with a raised foundation and 2x2 floor joists.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Foundation2by2.jpg

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Very common

Here's a picture without the insulation.

![](upload://jVFHJLRuDeaaHKbMakWsbbqmD6P.jpeg)

They are "engineered" joists and highly rated for strength and durability if properly installed.

![](upload://bhRSrWRnc0sIbWHJXYYMjaMQpEt.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dbush

I joists that look just like those are holding up the 2nd floor of my house.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Fairly common here with new construction. Although the home I inspected last week had missing nails in the joist hangers. Not too many, but I reported it.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Thanks, guys. Hadn’t seen it before.

Inside, however, there were cracked floor tiles all over the place. Since I'm familiar with floor tile installations, the type of floor joists was causing me concern.

I note in looking at Jeff's post that the joist sections seem to be staggered and quite close together. Look at my original picture, and here's another picture showing the concrete block foundation. Comments on the installation? Properly installed?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/F2.jpg

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Russel et al…

There is a neat pdf Framers Guide available for these joists and rafters at http://www.trusjoist.com/PDFFiles/2031.pdf .

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Russel,

the instalation that you have seen is pretty typical of it's type, and from the photo's I see nothing wrong with it. however all engineered components like this are designed for very specific spans and loads, and it is not beyond reason that these trusses could be over spanned or overloaded. without knowing all the facts (and not being a P.E.) I would probably report based on your finding of cracked tiles over the subfloor above that further evaluation by a PE maybe advisable.

PS. I know a certain Mr Oconnor PE who would work real cheap for some Ca sun about now ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: roconnor

gbeaumont wrote:
PS. I know a certain Mr Oconnor PE who would work real cheap for some Ca sun about now ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

If I can bring my harley, I would work for room, board, and margaritas about now with the winter we have been having ...

Evaluating I-Joists gets a little involved, but just like any other framing system the important things for an HI to look for, in addition to general workmanship and deterioration, are deflection and movement. Try to look along the bottom 2x4/flange, and if ya can see any bowing it may be an issue (deflection shouldn't be any more than about 1/4" for every 10'). Also, bounce on the floor in the center span to see if you can feel any movements ... you shouldn't feel very much ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

For general workmanship, see the guide Richard referenced ... it's excellent. Mostly, builders seem to sometimes forget the required bearing blocks ("squash blocks") which are pieces of wood fit between the top and bot flanges where the I-Joists bear on a support, or where the hangers dont support both the top and bottom flanges. Standard hangers won't fly. The particle board webs do not have a lot of strength, and are like a wet noodle if they get damp.

Hope that helps, and let me know if ya need an engineer who works cheap for some sunshine in the winter ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

To heck with home inspections. You can bring your Harley, I’ll jump on my Virago 1100, and we’ll head out in search of the best margaritas.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Dont tempt me, cause we just got more snow here in NY … what is your address again … icon_lol.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

9205 Hillside Drive, Spring Valley.

The bike's raring to go. She really gets neglected with this inspection company, although I use her to get through traffic during tourist season. Bikes can use the carpool lanes and, if the traffic is less than 35 mph, can split lanes. Makes it really useful for delivering reports.

I call her the Shuttlecraft. My main car is the Enterprise, and my work car is Voyager.

"Scotty. Beam O'Connor out of that snowy wasteland and to my ready garage. Don't forget his Harley."

"Aye, Captain. I hear ye's gon' ta search fur some margaritas. Why bother? I've some good Scotch whiskey stashed away."

"Scotty, you know how I feel about Scotch. Just beam O'Connor over."

"Aye, Captain. Ya got it."

Cpt. Kirk out.

Serious thread drift.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

rkirk wrote:
"Scotty. Beam O'Connor out of that snowy wasteland and to my ready garage. Don't forget his Harley."

Sounds like a plan Russell ... "Scotty, beam me up!" ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Gerry ... I'm not telling what engineers use to check deflection for things like this, but I have a feeling you just might figure it out and will be surfing ebay later. See if they have a pair of skis for sale too for that slippery slope you will be on (duck) ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Tile is aweful unforgiving when it comes to deflection. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, about that CA sunshine. I choose some FL sunshine, since it is closer and costs a lot less to get there and stay there!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Russel, over in this neck of the woods if your going to lay tile and more so now that everybody want 12"X12" tile you need to have a min. of

1 1/4" of sub flooring even if floor joist are 16" OC. A lot of contractors skip that part and you see what you get.CRACKS

I’ve laid a lot of tile floors, even on 20’ raised mountainside foundations, most of it successful in the later years (early years, well, that’s another story–live and learn), but I had not run across 2x2’s. Just the thought of 2x2’s scares me. I don’t care who engineered them. In earthquake country, it ain’t gonna be 2x2’s under my feet.

Well, unless I've had a couple of margaritas.

But then I'll go home to my solid foundation.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.