4300 SF plus detached building setup

MLO means “Main Lugs Only”, which is a type of panel where feeders just connect to lugs, instead of connecting to a main breaker, at the top of the panel buss.

Robert, where did you see that the fridge and freezer is on the load calc? They are not fixed in place equipment.

Greg … I didn’t write that load calc program, but treating the fridge and freezer as fixed in place equipment just for purposes of the calc seems to make sense with the recent trend towards larger units with a heavier load.

I am just pointing out that the fridge is not in the article 220 calcs, nor are the dedicated bathroom outlets.

I would be curious what the “optional” calc comes up with.

P.S. The load calc sample didn’t specifically add for bath outlets, but the trend towards larger freezer/refrig appliances with a dedicated/specific circuit should be added separately (e.g. NEC 220.30.B.3)

??? 220.30(B)(3)
“The nameplate rating of all appliances that are fastened in place, permanently connected, or located to be on a specific circuit, ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, clothes dryers, and water heaters.”

No fridge or freezer, also this is the optional calc. The example was the regular calc.

I think newer fridges actually use less power than the old ones. even if they are physically bigger. All of that high efficiency stuff.

Seemed to make sense to treat an additional/dedicated circuit for a fridge as an appliance load, but your right that the quote was from the alternate method. Perhaps the program, which uses the standard method, should have treated the fridge load differently.

In any event, I think the bottom line is that an HI should not just be guessing at service loads. Bail to someone else if there is a question.

JMO & 2-nickels

Since the SOP’s for HI’s do not require code inspecting we only “have to” report any obvious under sized services.

The SOP’s are written to make inspections affordable for the public which in turn gets more houses inspected. It is not a perfect situation but it is the established one.

lol…what Bruce is trying to say is…if the electrician came out to do this calculation and inspection…chances are we would be HIGH priced…lol…

:)…Thanks Bruce…I think…lol

I agree completely Bruce. But there are situations where an HI should comment on the potential for defects if they suspect them, even though it may be outside the SOP, to cover themselves liability wise. By just being dragged into a lawsuit an HI loses, even if they are technically correct and not at fault following the SOP … there are always different shades of gray in the legal world. The PV series “Avoiding Litigation” does a good job of discussing that issue.

JMO & 2-nickels … :wink: