Need Guidance on this 200A/100A setup

Just doubting as this has been like this for 30 years. That’s a 200A breaker (fed by the appropriate SE from the utility connection) that goes into thee meter and comes out with what is usually used for 100A services. Does the meter magically step down the Amperage that could flow?? Thanks

I don’t understand. Where is the POCO connection made?

Do you have a pic from farther back? And, maybe a pic with the covers off?

2 Likes

What Larry said!

Heres the full outside. I dont remove those covers. But it is a 200A breaker

Former duplex Modular home 1989 2nd meter now just has a ground connector.

It looks like you have a 200 amp service with the main disconnect breaker (200 amp) next to the meter.
Was there a sub panel(s) inside)?

I understand unfused wire can run inside the house but only for a few allowed feet. The run from this meter to the panel is over 60 feet. Even tho its limited by the 200A breaker, that wire will suffer if it has to convey that current I would think.

I use to but don’t any more. Too many onlookers tried or had their hands in the panel when I turned my head. All where warned ahead of time. Leave the room until I call you back in. Please do not watch me remove the dead front. An arc can blind your vision temporarily!

My service ampacity narrative:
200 Amps (120/240 Volts).
For the purposes of a home inspection, Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc determines the electrical service ampacity size ‘from the main disconnected rating, not the SEC AWG; Service Entrance Cable, American Wire Gauge.’ In this case, meaning when I see 200 disconnect breaker, the main disconnect is rated at 200 Amp. One can reasonably predict though the incoming feed is higher. 400 Amps would be considered a typical/usual residential electrical service ampacity size.

So, the panel at the interior should be set up to draw only the max permissible by the SECs. If that is the case, then this is only a potential problem if there is a short or ground fault along the line before the interior panel.

In the case of a short or ground fault, I am making an assumption that the lines could handle the large current for the very brief time it takes for the 200amp to trip.

The meter has no overcurrent or means to limit any flow of electricity.

1 Like

No!!!

1 Like

Fault current is limited to 10,000A (or less) by the impedance of the supply transformer’s secondary. Everything in a residential electrical system is rated as Class H or higher, so everything in the home can withstand a 10,000A fault without harm to any part of the system. The 200A breaker would be able to clear the fault.

3 Likes

The conductors are protected by the main breakers in the panel they serve. The 200A breaker provides a disconnecting means to de-energize the building. While the installation is unconventional, it is not inherently dangerous.

2 Likes

Thank you George. That’s what I was looking for.

It can run 60’ on the outside but not on the inside. Also the panel would need to have a main.

2 Likes