A/C or not with heat pump, how to tell

Originally Posted By: jgallant
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If it’s too cold to test an AC system (below 65 degrees), is there a reliable way to determine if a heat pump is set up to serve as an air conditioner in addition to supplying heat?

-Jim Gallant

--
-Jim Gallant
Owner, All Point Home Inspections - Poulsbo, WA www.allpointinspections.com
Co-founder, ReportHost (Web-based report writing service) www.reporthost.com

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Jim,

A heat pump is basically an air conditioner running in reverse. The question really is, whether or not an air conditioner is also designed to function as a heat pump. The presence of a 4-way reversing valve in the condenser unit indicates that it is. Basically, if the heat pump is working, the AC should be, too. But refrigerant leaks, etc., would hamper both operations. So if you turn up the thermostat enough to turn on the auxilliary coils, the system could generate plenty of heat but not be a reliable indicator of the condition of the AC/heat pump.

Heat pumps are very common here (probably not in your frozen tundra) and I haven't run across a heat pump that wasn't integrated in a central A/C unit.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: jgallant

They’re actually really common here in western Washinton. We have a mild climate, although cloudy, due to marine air. I know checking for the 4-way valve will differentiate an AC-only unit from a heat pump, but a realtor or client asked me recently if the heat pump on one property was set up for AC too, and then the other (realtor or client) chimed in and agreed that they’d heard that it’s not a given that the heat pump would be set up for both. Think I might call a heating contractor and ask.

UPDATE - I just called a heating contractor and his answer was "Yes, all heat pumps serve as air conditioners too so long as the thermostat has a cooling feature."

-Jim Gallant

--
-Jim Gallant
Owner, All Point Home Inspections - Poulsbo, WA www.allpointinspections.com
Co-founder, ReportHost (Web-based report writing service) www.reporthost.com

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Is the valve easy to spot in the condensing unit? Never seen a pump in Chicago area yet.

Thanks

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I can’t imagine a heat pump in Chicago! They only work well down to about 34 degrees, and I didn’t think y’all ever got that warm in the winter. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Up until a few days ago we never got above 34 for at least 2 months.

But it don’t snow around here anymore. icon_confused.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: rsummers

We all just need to realize that just because the unit functioning heat it doesn’t guarantee it will work in cooling. Most units are set up with the valve resting in heat and that’s where they usually fail.

Originally Posted By: ajannah

The only way to see if the Heat Pump is set up properly to heat and cool is to operate the t-stat.

Check the t-stat to see if it has an emergency heat mode.

Check to see if there is a forced air furnace in the home.

If so, put the t-stat in emergency heat mode & turn the t-stat to 10

degrees above room temp.

The furnace should come on. If not, good chance it is not wired

properly for aux. heat

Put t-stat in cooling mode & turn temp down 10 deg below room temp.

Sometimes there is a 5 min delay between modes. If

compressor starts all is well on cooling side.

Now, put t-stat in heating mode & set temp to 10 degrees above room

temp. Unit should reverse to heating, May be a time delay.

Originally Posted By: kluce

Believe it or not, there are a lot of heat pumps around here, which is a 30 minute drive South of Chicago. The electric company was giving out rebates which made it cheaper to install a heat pump than a air conditioner. Most come with switching control that is set at 40 degrees. If it gets colder than 40 degrees, the heat pump switches over to the gas furnace, which is what most people have around here.

I bet an electric company gave rebates for heat pumps in Alaska at one time or another. ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)