a garage inspect

Two items. a) Observe the trusses. They are not to be altered or bear on interior walls. The structural roof load is to transfer to the points designed to carry the load. Observe the connections and fasteners. Those need be adequate and made for the purpose. b) Be sure the receptacles are all GFCI-protected; the firewall is made of drywall or gypsum and there are no openings: The door does not open into a bedroom. The door, if solid steel, should be at least 1 3/8".

In our area they must also be self closing .

Door has to be 1 3/8" period. Or fire rated.

R302.5.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13⁄8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13⁄8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

Has not been required in Minnesota for MANY years, some counties being as long ago as 2008.

2012 irc… R302.5.1 Opening protection.
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing device.

2015 worded exactly the same. http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2015-I-Codes/2015%20IRC%20HTML/Chapter%203.html

Corrected, thanks.

I think there may have been a code cycle where it was not required Jeffrey. :slight_smile:

Yup (in Minnesota) there was about 8-10 years from about 2005 on… and probably the #1 b*tch by agents that they were no longer required. I told them if they couldn’t negotiate $25 to $75 for a friggin’ hinge, they deserved to lose their easy paycheck!

OMG I can’t stop laughing at this one. For the life of me when did negotiating or managing expectations get so hard?

https://www.nachi.org/forum/f79/garage-room-door-109830/#post1472257

See post #2… I am not the only one!

It also makes a difference what one should state is required depending on which code has been adopted by the jurisdiction you are in.
Many jurisdiction have not even adopted the 2012 code yet.

R309.1 Opening protection.

Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated door

Whether it has been adopted of not it is best building practice and warrants a mention.

It might be a safety recommendation, but surely not a Building practice around here.

**Only the 20-minute FR door is required to have a self-closing device. **

Interesting. All self closing here. :slight_smile: