A grounding question

As you all know I do not want you to say things that will get you in trouble BUT grounding and bonding are the most important things that you should look for and understand.

This can be done by doing a visual inspection and IMHO keep you from making electrical statements.

Mike,

I think many of them are learning and not just commenting to clients on what they are learning…just for retained knowledge.

You simply can’t have a HI go into a home mike and not comment on things “Electrical” that SHOULD be their…that is their job to do so which is WHY they do carry insurance…but making known statements about bonding requirements and grounding requirements is part of their JOB and required of HI’s as part of their states mandates…for those that license HI’s anyway.

At some point they are going to have to be aware of what grounding is and what bonding is and how they differ…and the requirements and such for each which is the basis for this forum…and the many electrical seminars that are given around the country on the subject that many HI’s attend.

Paul

I do want them to be ‘able’ to comment. That is why Ohio should recognize home inspectors.

In Ohio:
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll/PORC/1952d/1bf7b/1bf9b?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_378306

§ 3783.06. Prohibition.

No person shall engage in the practice of electrical inspection in this state unless he is the holder of a certificate of competency as an electrical safety inspector issued under Chapter 3783. of the Revised Code. Any person practicing or offering to practice electrical inspection shall show proof of his certification upon request as provided by rules of the board of building standards.

HISTORY: 133 v H 991 (Eff 9-4-70); 135 v H 1. Eff 3-22-73.

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll/PORC/1952d/1bf7b/1bf7d?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_378301

(B) The “practice of electrical inspection” includes any ascertainment of compliance with the Ohio building code, or the electrical code of a political subdivision of this state by a person, who, for compensation, inspects the construction and installation of electrical conductors, fittings, devices, and fixtures for light, heat or power services equipment, or the installation, alteration, replacement, maintenance, or repair of any electrical wiring and equipment that is subject to any of the aforementioned codes.

I like this board so those who do not know can ask .
I try to help where I can .
We also have to understand we are dealing with 51 countries here 50 USA and one canadian that all can have different ways of doing things .
Roy Cooke

Oh I hear ya Mike…no problem…BUT only a SMALL percentage are from OHIO…so basically we have to comment on the BROADER picture…