A grounding question

Will you get ground continuity through a water meter? If the ground connection is on the distribution side of the water meter is it really grounded to the water main? This is just a thought I have been having. I wonder if the new water meters have anti galvanic bushings in them.
Larry

I wouldn’t expect there to be continuity through a meter. The GEC should be on the dirt side.

No, the GEC should be on BOTH sides.
It is, and has been for a while, code to jump around removable meters and other items that can and do breaker the continuity/bond.

So when I see a GEC attached only to the distribution side of a meter the system is not really grounded.
Larry

All installations for many years have had the ground cable go to the incoming side of the meter . All meters also should have a jumper ground cable fastened with grnd clamps across the meter so if the meter is removed there still is continuity for example the gas line ground .
Correct improper to have cable on distribution side of meter
Roy Cooke

No, it’s grounded, just not entirely properly. At least for a relatively recent installation.
You cannot go into a 50 year old house and say it is not proper. It was proper when it was installed.

Also, it is a bit of a misnoner to say “It is not grounded”. All residential services are grounded. A water pipe used as an electrode is simply that. It serves the same purpose as a ground rod. And this purpose is NOT to provide a ground. The earth does not make a ground. The bond to the “grounded conductor” (neutral) provides the ground used to open breakers and fuses.
You CAN have a grounded service without having any ground rods.

I myself wish they would change the wording to not use “ground” or “ground rod” or “grounding electrode”.
In fact there is talk that in 2008 “ground” will not be used in favor of a more accurate term “earth” and “earthing”.

You missed where the question was comming from Both Larry and I ( Roy Cooke )
are Canadians and some of our rules are different the yours .
Roy Cooke

I have often scratched my head on this one. If this is the case then when the requirement to bond the gas lines to electrical system is done so by a bond to the water line, usually to the most convienient water pipe, is it really bonded? Paul, Joe, Roy and all the other sparkies what say you?
Larry

I know, another can of worms has been opened.
Larry

Yes it really is bonded , Reason not sure , Possible because some times a electric cable can come in contact with Gas appliances or pipe, just may be to remove a static charge.
Just one of those things I have excepted and never wondered why ,no concern do it is a saftey item.
Roy Cooke

CEC Rule 10-902(3) says you need a jumper over the water meter. I have a new home (2006) and there is no jumper. It seems to be ignored by the electricians around here.

Is the incoming line from the street cooper or plastic .
They use another method of grounding now in newer homes with plastic water incoming .
Roy Cooke

Hey Roy

All copper. I asked for the jumper and the builder said it wasn’t needed because the jumper provided a continuous path.

sorry - I mean the meter provided a continuous path…the whole point is there is no jumper.

Lets say that the ground is caring a fault out to earth like it is designed to do . Now we get a meter that needs to be changed . The plumber comes into the home shuts of the water disconnects one end of the meter and goes to disconnects the other end Now he is supplying the path for the electrical fault . That is the main reason for the jumper .
Yes it is needed if the incoming line is being used as the house ground.
Roy Cooke

What about jumping from cold to hot water pipes? I never see it but I believe it is required. AND finally do you guys write this stuff up? I have been but always wondered if I was being too picky.
CB

Cold to hot never heard of this before .
Yes if I see the ground wire does not go to the primary side of the meter I do write it up If I can not find where ground goes I also write that up as Not Visible .
I use the C7D check list reporting system works for me and have no desire to change looked and bought others .
satisfied with this .
Roy Cooke

I agree with Ray the jumper has to be there.

First why as part of a visual inspection are you checking continuity?

Second read 250.104(B) other metal piping.

lol…Mike I don’t think Larry is actually doing this…besides getting Cont. through metal is fairly easy…getting GOOD cont. that us usable is another story…:wink:

I think his basic premise was is a “Jumper” needed over the meter if their is one installed inside and the connection is made to the “Load” side of the meter…( sorry I am tired so I am using electrical terms…lol…)…

Anyway…while old homes may have it that way…it should have a jumper on it to be truly reliable…in my opinion…like BX has a metal jacket when used in the 60’s but you should not use it as a EGC…too much resistance and inconsistent in overall surface contact to be reliable but still will ring a Cont. Tester…

HI’s are remiss if they do not verify the Bonding Points or lack of as part of their inspection…