A letter to his grandaughter

Subject: Grandpa’s Message to Granddaughter

John is 63 years old and owns a small, family business. He’s a life-long Republican and has had the dream of retiring next year. But, that dream has all but evaporated. With his recent losses in the stock market and new taxes coming his way, John assumes that he will now have to work until his dying day.

John has a granddaughter, Ashley. She’s a recent college graduate who drives a flashy, hybrid car. She enjoys wearing all the latest fashions and loves to go to nightclubs and fine restaurants with her friends. Ashley campaigned hard for Barack Obama. And after the election, she made sure her Grandfather (and all other Republican family members) received a big “I told-you-so” earful on how the world is going to be a much better place now that her party is taking over.

However, in the last six months–after both her roommates lost their jobs–Ashley is running short of cash trying to cover the rent on her 3-bedroom townhome. Having fallen on hard times, as she has done in the past, she recently e-mailed her Grandfather asking for some financial assistance. Here is his reply:

“Sweetheart, I received your request for assistance. Ashley, you know I love you dearly and I’m sympathetic to your financial plight. However, unfortunately times have changed. With the election of President Obama, your Grandmother and I have had to set forth a bold new economic plan of our own… ‘The Ashley Economic Empowerment Plan.’ Let me explain.

“Your Grandmother and I are life-long, wage-earning tax-payers. We have lived a comfortable life, as you know. However, we have never afforded ourselves the fancier things, like European vacations, luxury cars, etc. Instead, we have worked hard and were looking forward to retiring soon. But that plan has changed, too. Your president is raising our personal, and business, taxes significantly. He says he’s doing this so he can give our hard-earned money to other people. Do you know what that means, Ashley? It means less for us–for our family. And we must, therefore, cut back on many business and personal expenses.

“You know the wonderful receptionist who worked in my office for more than 23 years—the one
who always gave you candy when you came to visit? Well, I had to let her go last week. I can no
longer afford to pay her salary and all of the government mandated taxes that go with having the luxury of having a receptionist. In her place, your Grandmother will now work four days a week–answering phones, taking orders and handling the books. We will likely close the shop on Fridays, meaning we’ll probably lose even more business to Wal-Mart. But at our age, it’s the best we can do.

“I’m also very sorry to report that your cousin, Frank, will no longer be working summers in our warehouse. I called him at school this morning–he already knows about it and is quite upset.
Because he will have to give up skydiving and his annual trip to Greenland to survey the polar bears.

“Ashley, you know very well that, over the years, your Grandmother and I have given you thousands of dollars in cash, tuition assistance, food, housing, clothing, gifts, etc. But by your vote for Obama, you have chosen to help others–not at your expense–but at ours. So some of the financial help, with which we’ve been so generous in the past, is going to have to stop–starting immediately. Therefore, if you need money now, Sweetheart–I recommend you call 202-456-1111. That’s the direct line to the White House. You can also contact the White House here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/.

“ You, yourself, told me how “foolish” it is to vote Republican. You said Mr Obama is going to be “the People’s President”. That he was going to help “every American live a better life”. Well, based on everything you’ve told me, along with all his promises we heard during the campaign, I’m sure Mr. Obama will be happy to transfer some stimulus money into your bank account. (Feel free to have him call me for your account number, which I memorized so many years ago.)
“I doubt that even now you’ll understand what I’ve been telling you all my life. That those who vote for a President should consider the impact the candidate will have on the nation, as a whole–and not just be concerned for what they can get themselves. What Obama supporters don’t seem to realize is that all of the money he is “redistributing” to illegal aliens and non-taxpaying Americans (the so- called “less fortunate”) comes from tax-paying families, like your own.

“Remember how you told me, “Only the richest of the rich will be affected”? Well, guess what, Honey. Because we own a small, family business–your Grandmother and I are now considered to be
the richest of the rich! On paper, it might look that way. But, in the real world, we are far from “rich”.

“As you said while campaigning for Obama, some people will have to carry more of the burden so all of America can prosper. Are you beginning to understand what that really means? It means that
raising taxes on productive people results in them having less money–less money for everything, including granddaughters.

“I’m sorry, Ashley, but the Republican well has run dry. The free lunches are over. I have no “extra” money to give you now. Congratulations on your choice for “change.”

“Remember always, we love you dearly. But, from now on you’ll need to call the number mentioned above for financial assistance. Your “Savior” has the money we would have lovingly given to you. Good luck getting it from him now."

Love Always,

Grandpa & Grandmother

Jae, are you off your meds?? We need to find you some work.

I received this in an email about a month ago…beautiful.:slight_smile:

John is 63 years old and owns a small, family business. He’s a life-long Republican and has had the dream of retiring next year. But, that dream has all but evaporated. With his recent losses in the stock market and new taxes coming his way, John assumes that he will now have to work until his dying day.

John wrote a letter to his granddaughter, which you just read.

Here is her reply:

Dear Grandpa,

I’m sorry to hear that you have allowed something as trivial as politics to come between us and even sorrier that you have only allowed our President one year to fix what it took your Republican president 8 years (and Republican Congress 14 years) to destroy.

Your Republican took office with a budget surplus, high levels of employment, and a positive economy. By the time he left office, he had spent the treasury into debt, had mired the country in two separate wars with no plan for victory or end in sight, the largest economic collapse (dollar wise) in the history of the world… and a party that tried to replace him with a member of the Keating Five and a former beauty queen.

It’s okay, Grandpa. Hang on to your savings. If you live long enough, you will need it to buy the cat food you will be consuming to survive before I share with you. When you get to Hell…thank your Republican cronies who will, no doubt, be trying to convince God that He made some kind of mistake by sending them there.

As for me, I will no doubt be spending a big part of my life straightening out the mess that you and others like you left for me, but I’m up to it…and so is our President. In the years of prosperity to come, I will be enjoying my life and will occasionally have thoughts of you that your unkind letter will help me to quickly dismiss.

Say “Hi” to Grandma for me.

Love,

Your Granddaughter

Perfect response to crusty greedy old grandpa, James

:):):):slight_smile:

I bit my tongue until it bled. Had to do it. Thanks.

How long do you think he took care of the kid before he became greedy?

You should bite your fingers also so you cannot type. You can always talk to yourself.:stuck_out_tongue:

Dear Grandpa,

Don’t worry about me. Now that I’ve sucked you dry, the Government will provide a nipple for me to latch onto. It was a good ride while it lasted, but on to bigger and better.

Later,

Your Grand Daughter

When a man and his wife get into their 70’s they expect to be able to survive on the funds they’ve saved or investments they’ve made.

Especially the investments–which were returning 10% or better in the early 90’s, to 5% in the 2000’s, and are now bringing us a whopping 1% (2%) if we’re really lucky.

And along come grandkids…

Well, it’s probably our own fault for loving them enough to help them through their younger years. But the “Bank of Grandpa” runs low on funds, and it becomes increasingly difficult to make ends meet.

In my own case my wife and I have become alienated from some of our grandchildren because we need what we have to live on. It’s ours–we earned it. Not for the greedy grandkids who feel they are entitled to the “rich person’s” money (thanks to all the "free money Government programs). But we have more $ than they, so we’re the “rich”.

They can get a job–finally my grandson realized he’s going to have to earn his way through life.

My granddaughter wants us to help her learn to be self-efficient and support herself–just as we did. Now that’s my idea of a grandchild…

Maybe some day guys who are detractors of “John” and his letter will make it to their 70’s (if the neighbors let them) and it would be interesting to see how they feel in our circumstances.

But until that day comes, remember this…

You people don’t have the slightest idea what the hell you’re talking about (not an unusual condition), and you’re so interested in having Obama’s baby that you can’t even see straight.