A.O. Smith WH age

I use potassium chloride, does that make a difference?

Not sure. Potassium is substituted for those who want to reduce the Sodium in softened water.

Hardness is only on aspect of water.

Some areas have acidic water.

Thanks guys. This is a reflection of what made this MB great. We may have our ‘heated debates’ from time to time, but we always come together to figure out a concern, no matter how seemingly minor it is. Thanks to all!:slight_smile:

JJ kissin’ up again!

Very strange, I was just about to post about one I just encountered with the same serial # format (in my case, SN: 800-B-75-42857).

First thing that came to mind when I saw the unit was aquamarine, which is usually a dead giveaway for 1960s, aesthetically speaking.

But nothing on the data plate suggested 1960s on the one I inspected, either… and the unit in general did not look as archaic as a couple that I figured were obviously manufactured in 1967 in a commercial strip mall I recently inspected, which was evidently built c. 1969-70.

One of those was running like a champion, with no issues, going strong for about 45 years, my record for a water heater so far.

I also included pics of the old champ and its data plate, for your amusement.

So, based on all that, I figured 1975 for the one I inspected, which jibes with what the A.O. Smith rep said. They really built these units!

20150213-1 (3)t2.jpg

20150213-1 (6)_8_1.jpg

Nice Frank!
Yes, the Auqamarine is “typically” a dead giveaway, but NOT with A.O. Smith. I’ve seen the color going into the early eighties with them. Was beginning to think it was their company corporate color!
Ironic that their “old” data plate/serial number format was easier to ‘crack’!
Thanks for posting your pics.