AC disconnect

Some confusion, need input: Amps are not stamped on exposed portion of AC disconnect breaker (sticker on breaker behind cover says 60 A). Wired to 20 Amp breaker in the main panel. Wire size ok for 20 Amp breaker.

IMG_3705 (Small).jpg

AJ, what was the system requirement for the compressor/outside coil ??

Regards

Gerry

If you read the side of that “breaker” you will note that it’s a “dummy breaker” of no amperage whatsoever. It’s just a simple switch, with a 60 amp max rating. Plugs on and looks like a breaker, but it is not a breaker. Just a dummy. Square D calls it a “Molded Case Switch” and their part number is QO200. It comes standard as factory installed in their outdoor 60 amp weatherproof disconnects. In your case, the overcurrent protection is being provided by the breaker in the panel, and that “dummy breaker” is just the required local disconnect.

Gerry, it calls for a 20 Amp breaker. I hadn’t seen this type of disconnect before.

Hi Al,

Mark nailed it, enough said it’s good to go

Regards

Gerry

“Provides no overcurrent protection”. I hadn’t seen this before and it seems I was concentrating too much on the other sticker. Thanks Marc.

Difference…
With Rating = Overcurrent Protection Device/Disconnection means
Without Rating = Disconnection Means Only

P.S. The NEC® says it has to have a disconnection means within sight of the unit…not overcurrent protection within sight…so the main protection breaker ( in this case ) is in the panel and the " DUMMY" disconnection means is at the unit…perfectly fine unless of course the HVAC unit says ( FUSE ONLY…lol ) but we have been there before so no need to go there.

Can those plug into a standard panel - for example, might an inspector find one substituted for a main breaker - or are they a different configuration to prevent such substitutions?

YES sad to say they could be plugged into a standard panel but they dont have the AMP designation on the front of the breaker so it would be spotted rather fast by a Muni…As for a main breaker I don’t recall ever seeing any of those as the configuration for a main breaker that is already in a enclosure would have a OCPD rating on it.

Now…could it be used to lets say backfed a “SUB” panel that is well in a remote building…quite possible if the OCPD is ahead of it protecting the entire setup…and the backfed breaker is only being used as a disconnection means…

But then again I have only had (1) cup of java this morning so I can’t recall if the non-rated disconnect breaker is rated for backfed anyway…lol

I have seen plenty of outdoor and indoor disconnect options with a “DUMMY” main breaker in them but for the most part that are like standard breakers up to 100A

when did the AC disconnect requirement go into effect? I know at least back to 2002. thanks.