AFCI - How to determine coverage?

I have three AFCI outlets in my home. Other than plugging in a lamp in various sockets and using the test buttons, how can I tell which non-AFCI outlets are tied to a specific AFCI outlet. For example, I found out that one controls all the bathrooms, garage, basement and outside outlet. Another controls the sink in the kitchen, but I can’t tell what the third one controls. Any way to figure this out?

Try the bedroom circuits .

Are you asking about AFCI proteced outlets, Or GFCI protected outlets? Generally the locations you mentioned require GFCI protection.

AFCI breakers and GFCI breakers look similar. As Jim mentioned maybe the third breaker is an AFCI and protects the bedrooms.

Unless the home is a NEW build.

Are you sure you don’t mean GFCI? AFCI protection is not required and not usually placed in bathrooms, garages, basements and outside receptacles. These areas are required to have GFCI protection. AFCI protection is provided by circuit breakers, whereas GFCI protection is often provided by GFCI receptacle devices. Since you did not mention breakers, I assume you are referring to GFCI receptacles.

Knowing the age of your house and the location of the device would help to identify what the remaining device is likely to control. GFCI requirements have evolved substantially over the years, so knowing the age of the house may be a big help. Based on the combination of areas that you say are served by the same circuit, I suspect that it is an older home (these locations would be served by separate circuits today). A kitchen will typically (depending on age) be served by two small appliance circuits, both of which are required to be GFCI protected, so you may have a second GFCI receptacle serving the kitchen. If you have a spa tub in the house a dedicated GFCI receptacle may supply power to that.

You can check receptacles with an inexpensive receptacle tester available at any big box store. https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Receptacle-Professional/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505709302&sr=8-1&keywords=receptacle+tester

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Digital-Circuit-Breaker-Finder-ET300/202330830