AFCI testing - need advice

Hi all.

I need some advice regarding an AFCI in a sub panel.

The house I inspected was built in 2004 and has Square D panels. The AFCI’s are in the sub panel. No GFCI’s in the sub panel, only GFCI’s on the outlets in the bathroom, kitchen etc.

When testing the AFCI’s using the blue test button on the breaker, none of them tripped. There were 6 in the panel.

I did read somewhere that there needs to be something connected to the circuit in the bedroom outlet in order for them to trip on the panel using the test button – don’t know of that is true or not.

I have tested many AFCI’s using the test button on the breaker and they have tripped.

Also read that one should not rely on the test button but rather use Suretest tester.

The strange part is that the realtor lives in the same development and he tested his AFCI’s (Same year house, same breakers) and none of them tripped when pushing the test button. He had his neighbor do the same with same results – no breaker tripping.

Could the breakers be expired or bad or just not wired correctly – They were connected to the neutral bus bar.

Should I not be using the test button and use an AFCI tester only.

Thanks

The breaker test button is actually the approved method of testing by the manufacturer.
If they didn’t trip, it needs to be reported for an electrician to evaluate.
They are prob defective

3 Likes

How was the sub-panel grounded/bonded? That would be the area in question IMO.
How about some pics?

@rmeier2

6 Likes

The Manufacturer wouldn’t have test buttons if they didn’t operate as intended!

5 Likes

Could they be wired incorrectly? Do you have any photo’s of the panel without the cover?

3 Likes

Sub panel was grounded correctly. Neutral and ground isolated. Main panel neutral and ground connected.
What stumps me is that the realtors house and his neighbor have the same issue.
Pics to follow

Forgot to mention, there are two sub panels

Weren’t those Blue Button AFCI’s RECALLED??

CPSC, Schneider Electric North American Division Announce Recall of AFCIs | CPSC.gov.

4 Likes

Label on the breaker reads as follows:

Type HOM
HOM115AFI
120 V~
LISTED
C.B.

ALSO LISTED AS
BRANCH/FEEDER
AFCI
ISSUE NO.
P-2259
HACR TYPE
SWD
AI/CU

@jjonas - Looks like you are correct.
The recall does mention that these are one of the breakers recalled - the label shows HOM115AFI which is part of the list.
Thank you for your help.
Funny that the realtor told me he had sold a number of homes in that development and no one ever mentioned anything about the breakers. Also that his don’t work makes me think that all the homes used the same breakers and no one knows about it.

4 Likes

Yup…

3 Likes

They should feel lucky you came around before a fire let them know they had faulty AFCI’s.

3 Likes

They are not going to be happy when I tell them :innocent:

In my opinion, I’d make sure not to explicitly say that the breaker is faulty. You can say it may be faulty and appears to be part of a recall, but refer to an electrician for actual diagnosis and recommendation on a repair method.

6 Likes

And include the link to the CPSC page I shared. Pass the buck to someone else to make the determination.

6 Likes

I’ve found the AFCI’s with rubbery blue buttons need some love, before they trip, sometimes.
Press 'em left, right, hard, bounce a bit. After that they start working properly. These are mostly Eaton/Murray models.

Looks like you have your answer on these, (recalled) but press and hold is my general rule, Many of the breakers require several seconds to actually trip. I give a 5 count on each one.

1 Like

Holding the test button down did nothing.
Found out that some people in the neighborhood had change them already.
The seller is going to have them switched out. A few more people are doing the same.
Appreciate all your feedback.
Thanks

3 Likes

Nice catch Stuart!

And assist to @jjonas for pointing out the recall!

1 Like