Age: This may be the single biggest factor when inspecting. Below are some considerations:
- 1850 Modern foundation techniques began.
- 1880 Modern framing techniques began.
- 1920 Cast in place concrete foundations techniques began.
- 1900-60 Asbestos and lead paint were popular.
- 1965 and later homes. Less chance of lead paint.
- 1970 Grounded (three strand) distribution wiring techniques began.
- 1965-75 Aluminum single strand wiring possible (probable in manufactured housing)
- 1978 Lead paint and asbestos banned.
- 1980 Vented attics issues were addressed and installed in new housing. (minimizes chances of moisture/mold issues)
- 1986 Lead solder banned (minimizes chances of lead in drinking water)
*]1986(?) Thermal-pane windows came on the scene.