Air Admittance Valves

Originally Posted By: pdickerson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspect quite a few mobile homes with air admittance valves to vent the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I generally don’t comment on these. Should I be?

These valves are supposed to only be used in ventilated areas. The sink cabinets are generally not ventilated, however every mobile home I have inspected is done the same way. Comments?

Originally Posted By: rmoore

“Access and Ventilation. Access shall be provided to all AAVs. The valve shall be located within a ventilated space that allows air to enter the valve.”

Paul...I bolded "enter" because the intent is to let enough air into the valve to prevent a siphon. That is not a lot of air, and unless the cabinets are weatherstripped and absolutely air-tight, I don't see a problem. Any lowered pressure within the cabinet should be easily compensated for through the normal door gaps, no matter how closely fitting the doors are.

The ventilation is not for...well...ventilation ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) as the valves are designed not to let any sewer gases escape.

In some instances the AAV's are installed using a small in-wall box. I would imagine the code is more to deter covering that small box with an air-tight plate, which would prevent proper function.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

Richard,

That makes sense. Thanks for the info.