air return question.

The builder says this is an air return - but they won’t say what system it’s for. Looks like it terminates in the attic. Any idea what they’re up to here?

Likely their way of bringing in fresh outside air in to the return air system? This is usually done through an insulated flex duct with a metal rain shroud with a screen to keep insects/rodents out. Mostly found on the side of a house coming out of the sill plate.

Is it safe?

Not Knowing if you are in a warm or cold area of the USA .
Many have the outside air go into a bucket so not to much cold air comes in Others have like a fish hook at the bottom of the tube. The screen is very important as wast posed above . Bus and critters l;love to come in .

Just hope the plumbing vent stack doesn’t terminate in the attic … :shock:

You’re gonna love this one Roy…I was reading your post when I hit the spot about a fish hook at the bottom of the tube…I found myself desperately trying to figure out how the hell a fishing hook stuck on the bottom of the tube could possibly be rigged up to keep slow down the cold air flow???
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: It was only about 20 seconds or so but HOLY MOLY…I had a good laugh at myself on that one. I guess I’ll book myself a room at the old folks lodge before someone else does; and they’ve even got proof!’s in writing! I am soooo done.:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Credibility just went out the window GEEEZ(shaking my head in disbelief)