air return question.

The builder says this is an air return - but they won’t say what system it’s for. Looks like it terminates in the attic. Any idea what they’re up to here?
http://www.intalik.com/air-return.jpg
Thanks
Adam

Likely their way of bringing in fresh outside air in to the return air system? This is usually done through an insulated flex duct with a metal rain shroud with a screen to keep insects/rodents out. Mostly found on the side of a house coming out of the sill plate.

Is it safe?

Not Knowing if you are in a warm or cold area of the USA .
Many have the outside air go into a bucket so not to much cold air comes in Others have like a fish hook at the bottom of the tube. The screen is very important as wast posed above . Bus and critters l;love to come in .
Cookie

Just hope the plumbing vent stack doesn’t terminate in the attic … :shock:

You’re gonna love this one Roy…I was reading your post when I hit the spot about a fish hook at the bottom of the tube…I found myself desperately trying to figure out how the hell a fishing hook stuck on the bottom of the tube could possibly be rigged up to keep slow down the cold air flow???
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: It was only about 20 seconds or so but HOLY MOLY…I had a good laugh at myself on that one. I guess I’ll book myself a room at the old folks lodge before someone else does; and they’ve even got proof!..it’s in writing! I am soooo done.:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Credibility just went out the window GEEEZ(shaking my head in disbelief)
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>