Air returns in wall chases

I see them but usually not far from the furnace as it would be done only where there is only one return vent meaning the run is short otherwise you would need a filter at every return vent .

The furnace filter?

so here in the south were a good percentage of air handlers are in the attic, How many filters do you would get changed by the furnace ?

We are starting to recommend filters on all returns and at the Furnace.
Many different brands are sold that have slip in filter for the return or you can just make one yourself.
If you have dogs, cats or older home you are best to protect the return no questions asked.

Kevin have you seen duct work after 20 years of use with the filter only at the furnace ?lol

Well there you go then. Regions do have their differences.:shock:

Having the ductwork cleaned periodically is not uncommon in my area.

Well have you checked after the cleaning? that is another story .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5mfhrogus many scams out there

Yes Wayne! I try to take pictures of the return at every opportunity.

EPA does not recommend duct cleaning either!

There are blow and go artists and there are the others.

You get what you pay for if you pay attention.

Do you ever read what you post.

You are wrong.

No more comments to you Michael you are lost and gone forever.
I know what the website says!
They still don’t recommend it unless xxxx

KEVIN WOOD has a long history of posting bad and misleading information on this site.

Listen to him at your own risk.

Once again KEVIN was wrong and once again he refuses to back down.

Seems there is blow and go in every profession :mrgreen:
I would say fraud is rather high in this case

I have no doubt.

You really need to insert collapsible brushes to disturb the dust before in can be sucked out.

I know how it is done , just most it is smoke and mirrors when it is done . Like a snake oil salesman .

Depends on who is doing it.

For what it costs around here, I consider it most often overpriced and of limited value.

You may consider having your air ducts cleaned simply because it seems logical that air ducts will get dirty over time and should be occasionally cleaned. Provided that the cleaning is done properly, no evidence suggests that such cleaning would be detrimental. EPA does not recommend that the air ducts be cleaned routinely, but only as needed. EPA does, however, recommend that if you have a fuel burning furnace, stove or fireplace, they be inspected for proper functioning and serviced before each heating season to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning.( Your sort of right but if there is no mold no need . Filtering the air as it enters the duct makes sense . Sealing the chamber instead of pulling from the wall cavity is going to improve the problem not hinder it. And BTW was that not the question?
:wink: